Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Can you use ribbon for bias tape on pillowcase dresses? >

Can you use ribbon for bias tape on pillowcase dresses?

Can you use ribbon for bias tape on pillowcase dresses?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:46 AM

Default Can you use ribbon for bias tape on pillowcase dresses?

I just got involved with a group making pillow case dresses for missionaries to deliver. Since the pillowcases are donated and I have lots of trim, the most significant cost is the bias tape - 2 yards per dress. I'm lucky to live near the Berwick- Offray ribbon outlet and picked up grocery bags stuffed with ribbon (5 bags for $1) last summer. I've got a LOT of 1 inch ribbon, mostly grosgrain some satin. Could I fold that 1" ribbon in half and use it in place of bias tape around the arm holes? Or would it be to rough? Or not be easy to use because not cut on the bias? Or come untied more easily than bias tape? I'm really tempted to try because of the significant cost savings.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 AM

Do be careful with ribbon not all of it washes well. And some is not colorfast. Have you checked out HomeSew ( online ) for their bags of bias tape. If its not available on line call them ,..sometimes they have stuff not on the web site. I used to get Alot of their bargain bags of bias tape. They also have 100 yard rolls.
Also put an ad in the "in search of section" of this board I am sure there are people who have some that would sell for little $$.
Additionally consider making your own using the clover bias tape maker . I have the simple gizmo in all the sizes .. I love it.

Last edited by Lori S; 03-07-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:21 AM

The reason for using bias tape on the armholes is that the bias tape will mold itself to the curve nicely. Ribbon is normally somewhat stiff and likely to be scratchy where it bunches up (which it probably will) going around the curve of the armhole.

Using the ribbon as a bit of trim on dress would be a lovely touch, but for binding the armholes, I would use bias tape, either purchased or 'make your own'. I've seen a tutorial listed on this board for how to do that. Sorry I don't know how to do a link, but I'm sure you can do a search and find it.