Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cancel your credit cards before you die >

Cancel your credit cards before you die

Cancel your credit cards before you die

Old 09-21-2011, 03:16 PM

Mail still arrives at my address for my ex-husband who remarried, moved out of state and since passed away three years ago! Mostly, I get hearing aid junk mail...I guess they think he can't hear them!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:03 PM

This happened to me after my DH passed in 2008 and I'm still getting a monthly statement and collection calls on a charge card that was paid off in full then closed by DH in 2005 and they actually said "how do we know the Death Certificate is real" Up to that point I had been polite -not so much after that.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:34 PM

When my Sisters mother in-law died her husband went to clean out the Apartment and collect the deposit. Manager said no that there was not a 2 weeks notice. My Brother in-law told manager they did not know she was going to die. So how could she give a notice. Took them a while to get the deposit back.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:40 PM

OMG LMAO!!

priceless!!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:20 PM

When my DH passed, he had been on unemployment. I called them the day after he passed. For 6 years after that, I got a bill every month for the return of unemployment paid during the time he was gone. (I never got any checks), and when I insisted that they check their records, I was told that there was no proof of mailing, nor of cashing the checks, but the debt was declared valid, since it was "on the books"! I finally sent them a change of address form, from the post office, telling them to forward all mail to his new address.
Road Less Traveled
Backside of the Pearly Gates
Heaven, Paradise
I haven't heard from them since!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:01 PM

Then these banks wonder why they are not making money.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:38 PM

I seen this one a couple times and laugh everytime I read it
Old 09-21-2011, 07:50 PM

After my FIL passed away my MIL kept getting phone calls for him- selling insurance, shutters, whatever. One of these calls came through and she kept saying he wasn't there. She didn't want to say he had died cause then the caller would know she was a widow and home alone. This particular caller kept on and on and finally said something to the effect that she wasn't very smart if she didn't know where he was or when he would return. She replied, "Not as stupid as someone trying to talk to a dead man!" No calls from that source after that.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
When my DH passed, he had been on unemployment. I called them the day after he passed. For 6 years after that, I got a bill every month for the return of unemployment paid during the time he was gone. (I never got any checks), and when I insisted that they check their records, I was told that there was no proof of mailing, nor of cashing the checks, but the debt was declared valid, since it was "on the books"! I finally sent them a change of address form, from the post office, telling them to forward all mail to his new address.
Road Less Traveled
Backside of the Pearly Gates
Heaven, Paradise
I haven't heard from them since!
Love this one.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:31 PM

Got a letter from GE Money. Paid that account off 5 years ago, but never closed the account. GE Money now informs me that my account is closed due to lack of activity and this will show as a negative on my credit account. It took them 5 years to close an account!!. But we still get telemarketers try to sell insurance to our daughter, they ask for her by name. Since our granddaughter has the same name, I ask them to identify her by age. When I inform that she has passed, they are very surprised.