Cancer, Transplants etc

Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 PM

If I could get over my irrational paralyzing fear of needles I would
Old 03-03-2012, 10:58 AM

I can't donate, either, now, but in past years I have donated gallons.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:16 PM

I wish to thank every person who does donate blood, or organs, I am the mother of a son who received a kidney transplant on Sept. 2, 2000 in Tampa Fl at the LifeLink Organ transplant Center. My son was born with abnormally small kidneys that only worked at half capacity of a normal kidney. He was 23 when he went into kidney failure and almost died in his sleep. He had toxins build up in his bloodstream to the point that he was rotting from the inside out. When he finally went to the Dr, his blood work numbers indicated that he was already dead but he was not dead but close to it.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 PM

I used to donate Hemopheresis. I can't now because I was diagnosed with DCIS (the early stage of breast cancer) just this past October. Right now I'm in my third week of Radiation Treatments, 3 1/2 more weeks to go. I don't know if I can ever donate again but I'm going to check it out as soon as I get released from my doctors. Thanks for the reminder and the encouragement for those who don't donate right now, to do so. Thanks to all of you who have and do donate. My best girlfriends husband, who was 24 at the time, had cancer and I started donating Hemopheresis for him back in 1975, I was only 18 at the time.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:17 PM

there are times i think i'm not good for much, but one of the things i am good at is producing platelets. so good, in fact, they pull doubles or triples when i give. that means that a cancer patient can receive the same donor's platelets 3 times and reduce the risk of rejection or problems. my husband went thru many pints of blood as a cancer patient, and because of those donations, in 3 years he will be alive and able to again donate blood. platelet donations take a bit longer than blood donations, and they can be given/collected every 2 weeks. whichever, or whatever, you can give is appreciated. this is a gift that can only come from another person, so give if you can. i always tell them i'm there for the cookies! 8-)
Old 03-03-2012, 11:33 PM

I am border line anemic and sometimes I can donate and sometimes I cannot. I heave a big sigh of relief when I can, though. They usually operate during the daylight hours and now that I work night shift, that is my sleep time.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:07 AM

I wish I could donated blood. Having lost family and friends to cancer and know to many people fighting that battle.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:21 AM

I donate regularly. I'm happy to do it and it only takes an hour.