Canine Cushing's Disease

Old 09-26-2011, 08:46 PM

Does anyone here have any experience with this? Do you have or had a dog with this disease? If so, please tell me what you know and how your experience was.

A few weeks ago I posted that I needed prayers for my furbaby Buddy who we thought had cancer in his stomach somewhere based on an xray that was done at the emergency vet clinic. We scraped up enough money to have exploratory surgery done at our vet, what he found was Buddy's liver was covered in nodules, my vet claimed it was cancer of the liver based on the way it looked. We payed extra to have a piece of his liver removed and sent away for a biopsy, the results came back not cancer...THANK GOD, but we still don't know what is wrong with Buddy. He has all the symptoms of Cushing's disease. We have already spent 2000 on him thanks to the help of my sister, and I am currently trying to sell everything and anything I can to come up with the few hundred that we need in order to do the test to see if he does in fact does have Cushings disease. If he does in fact have this it will be fatal if left untreated.

I was just curious if anyone does or did have a furbaby that had this and was treated, how did the treatment work for you? Did you have good luck or was it not such a good idea? Any help or info is very much appreciated. Please keep him in your prayers!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Power Poster

Don't know the answer - but I sure can relate to your distress at your dog's illness - and at how much it costs when a pet is ill.

Hope you find some "good" answers.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Don't know the answer - but I sure can relate to your distress at your dog's illness - and at how much it costs when a pet is ill.

Hope you find some "good" answers.
Thank you! It's just awful what vets charge! The most cost was the emergency vet which was almost 1000 in itself, all they did was an xray, bloodwork and gave us pills. I compared what they charged for the different things to what my vet charges and the er vet charged us 4 times the amount for everything! Ughhhhhh!!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:22 PM

Well I've learned something new tonight. I didn't know about Cushing's in dogs, only horses. After reading up on it, I think I may need to see if that's my girl's issue. Thank you for bringing it up, and best wishes to you and your Buddy.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by dogpursemaker
Well I've learned something new tonight. I didn't know about Cushing's in dogs, only horses. After reading up on it, I think I may need to see if that's my girl's issue. Thank you for bringing it up, and best wishes to you and your Buddy.
Wish I did know. Horses, yes, we've had 2 of them, but with dietary care they do very well.

Hope against hope you can treat this successfully
Old 09-26-2011, 09:31 PM

Thank you! And yes, please do if you suspect your girl may have this. It can progress rapidly. Hugs to you!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:31 PM

Wish I did know. Horses, yes, we've had 2 of them, but with dietary care they do very well.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie

Thank you so much! I have been doing ALOT of praying!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:16 PM

Our beagle, Lucy had Cushings. This was when she was 12 years old and after reading about the treatment we decided it was too much for her at that age. She also had liver problems which the vets discovered when she had surgery for what turned out to be a ruptured gall bladder. She was eight years old at the time and ended up in doggy intensive care. We were told she wouldn't make it through the night but she was a tough and stubborn little girl and managed to pull through. Vets said the liver didn't look good and the numbers were off the scale, literally. Biopsy came back negative which was good news. But her liver numbers were high the rest of her life. We gave her four more years before she was diagnosed with Cushings. It left her back legs so weak that she had trouble walking and standing. Lucy developed pneumonia which was what finally took her.

Sorry I can't offer any information regarding treatment but just wanted to offer my sympathy and best wishes for Buddy. I did a Google search at the time Lucy was diagnosed and found several forums where canine Cushings was discussed. I found it very helpful since these were people who were facing the same decisions I was.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 PM

Our dog had Cushings Disease, lumps came up all over her body firstly, then she lost big clumps of her fur, she became very bloated, and lost weight. Towards the end, her rear end collapsed and she could barely walk. She was on high doses of tablets and medicine, was having injections at the Vet but in the end nothing could be done. She was 15 years old and I could no longer see her suffer so she went to sleep - 2 years ago this October. I miss her terribly.