Can't Find ANT Source! ?!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:21 AM

I have had a few tiny brown ants on my kitchen counter. Only about one a day (never more than 2) - & only ON the counter. I have cleaned every cabinet, waste basket, even ran a disposal cleaner packet & didn't see even one.

Not knowing where they are coming from is driving me nuts :!: I sprayed once across the base of the cabinets, but it didn't help, plus w/small children I don't want to use pesticides again if at all possible.

Any suggestions?? I'm afraid I'll never get ridof them if I don't find the source! :? :!:
Old 04-07-2011, 08:43 AM

we've got a problem with tiny black ones! Last year it was in the kitchen, found that source, and now it is in the bathroom, coming from a tiny opening in the tile grout. I sure hope we can stop them without having to pull out tile!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 AM

I believe you can use boric acid - its available at a pharmacy counter - I don't think it will harm anyone except the ants - but maybe someone here that knows more can help. I grew up in Hippy Country (organic - no pesticides, etc.)and I believe this is what they used.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 AM

Try a product called "Tarro" or "Taro"...it comes in a small clear bottle and looks like clear corn syrup. You put a tiny amt on a cardboard piece where you see ants...it will attract them, they eat it and take it back to the nest and it will kill the whole nest...keep putting it out til there are no more...to put it delicately, they blow up...ick!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:16 AM

Revenge ant killer. We had ants at the old house. I used this Revenge just a drop where you see them. They were all gone in 2 days. not a one around. I love this stuff.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:20 AM

I get the bait traps. The ants can come and go in them, but they're safe around kids and pets b/c kids and pets can't get into them. Follow the directions on the package concerning how many to use for the space you've got, including to put at least 1 near the water source in the room. The ants take the bait back to the colony and it kills them. They're white and in the pesticide aisle at walmart. I think 6 come to a package - maybe around $4.00? Sometimes they have bonus packs with extra ones. I haven't yet purchased them this spring, so I'm not sure of the price or how many come in a package.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:53 AM

you can pick up Boric Acid at the Dollar Store...just put a line of it where you think the might be getting in. Across the window sill, on the very back of the counter where you wouldn't come across it easily, maybe the door jamb.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Check around your outlets and light switches for holes where the ants can come in. I've had them come in that way.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Check around your outlets and light switches for holes where the ants can come in. I've had them come in that way.
Just what I was gonna say, mine came/come in through the plug outlet, usually when it's really dry out and they are looking for water!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:11 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-68508-1.htm

Another board member was also talking about putting "tansy" down. Which is a herb.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-110786-1.htm

Hope this will help. Try out your local library check out books from Jerry Baker, he does a lot of things the natural way.