cape

Old 06-04-2013, 07:55 AM

Default cape

A good friend asked me to make two adult size capes for a costume party. One needs to be short to go with a mini skirt and doesn't have an emblem on the back while her husbands needs to be larger and has a sports team logo on the back.

I have been googling but don't know where to start - never made something like this before. Anyone have any suggestions or could point me to a free online tutorial or PDF pattern the may have used in the past? I would like to help my friend out.

Thanks so much in advance.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:02 AM

Go to youtube.com and look for "Cape make from a tee shirt". Easiest thing ever. You can make this cape in minutes.
My grandsons now have quite a collection. The man's cape could be very easy if you can find a tee shirt with the sports emblem on it.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 AM

Thanks I will definitely check out! I also found this one for an adult which seems - super easy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g43dXuYx-Ts
Old 06-04-2013, 09:42 AM

That T shirt cape would be a great little project for young kids to do at a day camp type thing. With some cheapie t-shirts and a pack of Sharpies they could become the hero of their choice.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

It depends on what kind of cape you want to make. A simple casing at the top of a square of fabric that you run a string through (to gather at the neck) is what I did for my children's Halloween costumes. If you are looking for one that fits the body and has a collar, you will need to find a Halloween cape costume pattern.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

I made my Son one back in the 70s, when Batman show was on TV. The only fabric I had on hand then was lavender. He didn't care, he just wanted to play Batman.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:09 AM

Look in the 'costume" section of the pattern books. I think you will find a cape pattern there. I made a couple of capes a few years ago, and they were very easy to make.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:36 AM

You can even use a rod pocket drape and put a ribbon through the rod casing. I did this for a few nurses for Halloween and I got the drapes in the thrift store much cheaper than buying fabric and starting from scratch.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 AM

How "nice" does it need to be? Quick and easy or professionally done quality? Does it require a hood?

Both Simplicity and McCalls have fairly easy cape patterns in the costume section. I've made quite a few. They have varied from quickie rectangle gathered to a tied binding at the top (no pattern required) to an extra tall hooded fake fur one with hand slits in the front and lined with satiny fabric.

For the short one, you might just take a round tablecloth and cut it like you would for a tree skirt and add a binding around the neck circle and a narrow hem along the cut edge.