Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: be careful who you have repair your computer

Blog Entries
    The thread about computer crashes and backups reminded me of this incident, and I thought I'd pass a warning along:

My teenaged son spends quite a bit of time at a local independent computer repair shop. The other day when I picked him up, he told me one of the owners of the shop was doing some virus cleanup on a laptop that an attractive young woman had brought in. My son witnessed the owner of the shop copying pictures of the woman from her hard drive to his own personal thumb drive. This just gave me the heebie-jeebies!

Be careful and only use companies and people you trust!

Blog Entries
    Dang! What will they do next?

sounds like you need to guide your son to a different shop to hang around...if they copy pictures who knows what else they could expose him to ... imho boys will be boys having had 2 of them :)

Blog Entries
    Fortunately, I didn't need to give him any guidance at all - he decided on his own he was done. Made his mama proud.

If I knew of something like this I would feel the need to report it to someone, try to let the owner of the computer know. Warn people about going to that shop. That is just creepy.

Blog Entries
    This sounds like voyerism to me. Have your son watch this man closely as he really could have a sick streak to him. He he feels that the man is about to act on something, he should report his conduct to the authorities.

Blog Entries
    You should report it to the police

Not good and illegal. glad your son has the good sense to distance himself immediately. On the same vein, never give computer away or even take to recycle or trash without scrubbing the hard drive so that no one CAN retrieve personal info.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreameaver
    Not good and illegal. glad your son has the good sense to distance himself immediately. On the same vein, never give computer away or even take to recycle or trash without scrubbing the hard drive so that no one CAN retrieve personal info.
    There is no real good way to scrub a hard drive without some very sophisticated programs. The best way to be sure your information is secure is to remove the hard drive and find a sledgehammer. My BIL is in IT and shared that with me.

I would report the owner!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast