Carpet Buying

Old 08-26-2013, 05:03 PM

Default Carpet Buying

Oh my! I have not bought carpet in years and am very confused! So many choices, varieties, colors, etc....any one recently go through this? Favorites?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2013, 05:32 PM

My daughter is just getting new carpt and you really have to check a lot. Also make sure it is the installed price, one place gave her a quote and then added $1600.00 so she cancecelled the order and had to start over. There is a lot of good quality, Shaw is very nice, just be sure to get the best pad available! That is what makes the carpet last the longest
Old 08-26-2013, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by patski View Post
just be sure to get the best pad available! That is what makes the carpet last the longest
I agree with this advice. We were very lucky - when we replaced the carpet in our family room, we ordered a mid-grade pad because that was the best we could afford. When the installer got here, he only had the highest grade on his truck, so he installed that at no extra charge. I can absolutely tell the difference, it is so much more comfortable to walk on. I have plantar faciitis, and when my feet are really inflamed it's the only room I can walk barefoot in.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:07 AM

It's been over 20 years since we've bought carpet. At the time, we bought direct from a mill in GA. Was really easy and a great deal. After narrowing down type of carpet we wanted, they sent a sample board with different piles; pricing. We got very high end carpet for about half price (at the time going for $30/yd locally and paid $15/yd from them). They shipped direct, included padding as well. Had a local installer do the installation for a couple hundred. After repeated cleanings, many dogs, etc. this carpet has held up beautifully. Needs to be cleaned again at the moment, but you'd never know it's age. Might want to look into something like this if you're looking for high end carpeting.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

I am no help. We had 30 - 35 yo carpet that was still in good shape. I don't think it would be around now.
We took all our carpets out and put in hardwood floors. Much easier to care for. No carpet cleaning either.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:56 AM

[QUOTE=Jingle;
We took all our carpets out and put in hardwood floors. Much easier to care for. No carpet cleaning either.[/QUOTE]

We also had all carpets removed. They hold too much dust and other filth, even though you can't see it. We had laminate floors installed. As Jingle said, "Much easier to care for"!!! We love it.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:11 AM

We had to remove our carpet downstairs after my DH transplant and put in ceramic tile. The reasoning from the staff at the hospital, you don't know what's living in the carpet that the cleaners don't remove, also all the dust and allergens. Remember all the dust that collects under the bed and furniture? The only reason we still have carpet upstairs is he doesn't go up there and it keeps the noise level down when grandkids are up there.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:28 AM

We had new carpet installed in 2 room a couple years ago. One was for the family room--a plush. The other was for the basement--a freise (sp?) that is like shag only softer and (what's the word?) classier? Of the two, we prefer the freise. I think it was Shaw. Get the best you can afford, as well as the best padding. You might check Angie's List first to make sure you get a reputable dealer/installer.