Cat Lover Question

Old 01-12-2011, 06:31 AM

I noticed several of us quilters have cats so I want to ask a question. My daughter has a one year old cat that had a litter of kittens in Sept. The Weds before Thanksgiving we took the kittens from her and had her fixed. For the past few weeks she has peed on my daughters bed everyday. I don't think the problem is physical because she has not peed anywhere else in the house. Any suggestions on how to get her to stop doing this? Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:34 AM

I'll be watching this thread-my 18 yr old man has started peeing on the couch. Time for a trip to the vet!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 AM

she could be mad but if it continues I'd place a call to the vet.

Cizzors - my 15 year old cat had to be put down this past year. he started peeing in one spot of the house over and over regardless of what I did to stop it. We now know it was linked to his sickness but didn't know that at the time. It started happening about 6 months before we knew he was sick. (He had cancer, a very fast aggressive type too) You might want to call the vet and get him check out. I wish I had called sooner. Not sure it would have changed anything for us but still I regret letting it go thinking he was just getting old.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 AM

Sounds like she is mad about loosing her babies.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 AM

Covering the bed with a painters tarp help to keep the cat off the bed and also helped with the problem. She even started to use her box again.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:43 AM

My cat was doing this about a year ago - urinating & defecating at the end of the hall. After taking him to the vet, treating him for an infection, and doing all of what I'm about to say below, he stopped the behavior.

Only the vet can tell for sure if there is a physical reason for this behavior change. UTI's & other infections are common & it is best to rule them out by a visit to the vet. Other things to do to: Limit where the cat can go. Keep it out of the bedrooms & areas where it can do things without you seeing. Isolate in a laundry room or bathroom when you are not home or at night when you are asleep. Put a bell on the cat's collar so you can hear when it is headed for forbidden areas. Keep the litter box super clean all the time. Do you have more than 1 cat? This one may have decided it doesn't want to use the same box as others. It may take weeks before you figure out & correct the problem. Hope something here helps. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

As the behavior started after the spay surgery a trip to the vet is in order to ensure she does not have an infection. She won't go in other places of the house because she thinks this is the best place to let you know there is a problem.

It may also be possible you took the kittens away too soon. If they were born on T-giving and you just had this done that means the babies were only 6 weeks old at most! It may have been to soon and this is her way of showing that she is most unhappy with your behavior.

So first, get her to the vet to make sure it is not a physical problem. Then use the other advice posted here to try and change the behavior if there is no medical reason for this.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:08 AM

I agree putting her smell there so they will come find her.
Originally Posted by Up North
Sounds like she is mad about loosing her babies.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:03 AM

Try covering the bed with a plastic shower curtain or liner only $1.00 at dollar stores tie down or add weights if tries to get under to do her business won't like WET feet if tries going on top! (worked Here)
Old 01-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

oops, I'm sorry dkays, I just realized I read your initial post wrong. Kittens born in Sept, remvoed T-Giving. So they were about 8 weeks old. Few weeks go by and behavior starts. So it may not be related to the litter at all. She most likely had them weaned by that time and 8 weeks is ample age to rehome the babies. I believe this is a physical problem. She is choosing the best place to alert you to it, which is her chosen humans (your DD) bed. Get her to the vet ASAP. In the mean time do as others have suggested and cover the bed with a tarp or shower curtain liner or do not allow her access to your daughters room. There is something wrong and she is letting you know the only way she knows how.