Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Celebrate the freedom to read

Celebrate the freedom to read

This week is Banned Books week - Read something "forbidden", like "To Kill a Mockingbird" or "Sophie's Choice" or "The Color Purple."

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/banned/f...lengedclassics

And thank a librarian!! If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat!

Thanks! Something I can definitely support. I've actually got two of them covered at the moment ... I'm re-reading (for the 9th or 10th time - lost count) "The Lord of the Rings" in bed, and I'm listening to "One flew over the Cuckoo's nest" on an audible file in my car (I LOVE listening to books!!). Almost done with that and I've got a long drive (4.5 hours to DesMoines quilt show - wooot!) so I need to choose my next novel. I'll pick something from the list (have read a large percentage of them already though).
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    why would anyone want them banned?
    esther

Quote Originally Posted by haylillan View Post
    why would anyone want them banned?
    In this Land of the Free, someone always wants to take away your freedoms. Thanks so much for the reminder, "ptquilts". Banned Book Week is so important in bringing awareness to everyone. Besides, the list is a great guide to wonderful reads.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

I did not realize that "Gone With the Wind" was on the list. I enjoyed this book so much that I read several times in high school and early twenties. Who knows maybe I will read again. Also, I have never read "The Grapes of Wrath". I know everyone is thinking how did she miss that one? Honestly, I don't know. I guess it is because for years, I read mostly romance and mysteries. But the last several years or so I have branched out; due to youngest son giving me "The Davinci Code (I had nothing to read during a winter bad spell).
    Linda

Religious fanatics are the worst for wanting to ban things.
    Look at the past and what they did, not just books but burning witchs and other religion followers.

Blog Entries
    I started satanic versus by salmon ruskdie, i thik thats how its spelled. Ot half way thru, never finished it.
    if someone tells me i cant, well you know, i gotta do it. Dont even remember what it was about. That was a few yrs ago
    when i used to read avout 300 books a year. Sometimes the themes run tog when you read that much.

My, how times change! Did you notice how many of those had been made into American movies?

Religious fanatics are not the only one that will ban books. Any demagogue will not to limit your thinking and reading to just their view point.

Correction: I did not type that the way I intended.
    Religious fanatics are not the only one that will ban books. Any demagogue will try to limit your thinking and reading to just their point of view.