CFL disposal

Old 01-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=DOTTYMO;6494800]I am using old type bulbs as they have a much brighter light for sewing with. Could you explain the danger of the new bulbs? I have had them break in my hand or close to . What danger am was I in.[/QUOTE From what I have read, it seems to be the release of the mercury vapors that can be breathed in that the Google site warned against. The risks are minimal? but they do recommend airing the room and wearing gloves for the cleanup. I don't know about you but I will just air on the side of caution until more data comes in on CFL broken bulbs. I do take my CFL bulbs that are burned out to a safe drop off hardware site.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:43 PM

I also hate the CFL bulbs. I've never had one last 6 years or however long they claim they're supposed to last; they take too long to warm up and get bright; and they contain mercury.

The bummer part is, the federal government has essentially made manufacturing incandescent bulbs illegal. January 1st marked the end of a seven-year effort to outlaw the ordinary lightbulb, thanks to a 2007 law that raised minimum efficiency standards for traditional incandescent bulbs far beyond what the technology can manage. 40W bulbs must draw just 10.5W, and 60W bulbs 11W. The result is the same: Incandescents simply can’t keep up with compact fluorescent (CFL) and newer LED bulbs.

First the 100 watt and 75 watt bulbs were discontinued. Now it's the 60 watt and 40 watt. Funny thing is, a couple of months ago I was stocking up on incandescent bulbs, and while the 100W and 75W bulbs were gone, there was a nice fat section of 200W bulbs sitting there on the shelf! That makes no sense to me at all.

The federal government is taking decisions out of the hands of families and businesses, destroying jobs, and restricting consumer choice in the market. We all have a wide variety of preferences regarding light bulbs. It is not the role of the federal government to override those preferences with what it believes is in our best interest.

Ten years ago, some insisted we discontinue using (renewable and compostable) paper grocery bags in favor of plastic bags. Look where that got us. Some day we will be sorry about the amount of mercury that will leach into our soil and water.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
That is crazy-I thought these were supposed to be better for the environment?? I'll make it simpler on myself and just use LED or incandescent. I hate CFL bulbs-they give me awful headaches.
I think they are better for the environment in the sense that they use less energy. Of course that is based on the premise that they are properly used (no on/off/on/off sort of thing). I have also decided to switch to the LEDs as I don't appreciate the aggravation of proper disposal of the CFLs.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:47 AM

---and do you remember that only a few years ago that the government was wanting people to turn in all of the thermometers and blood pressure machines that relied on mercury as their component? So now we put that stuff into every light bulb in the house. Go figure!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:51 AM

My biggest scare is GMOs. Our country is using us as test subjects. Now they are doing it to fish.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:21 AM

I put one in the outside light in an apartment I lived in in 2001. It is still working and has not been turned off in that time.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 AM

I knew these bulbs were dangerous because they contain mercury. They have been linked to health problems in some individuals (headaches, rashes etc.). We have a tv show here in Ontario called 16 x 9 & they did a whole show on these bulbs & told us how problematic & unsafe they can be. Be VERY careful when disposing of them especially if one breaks !! It's like everything else that our Government gets involved with - first, they tell you they are better & then 10 years down the road, they take them off the market because they are dangerous to our health !! Go figure.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:19 AM

I hatethe CFLs, also and do not believe for a minute that they are any better for the environment. But even if they were (and I am certified tree hugger) there are trade offs in everything and one of the trade offs for the CFLs is that they don't give out any light. How unreasonable is it to think a light bulb ought to really illuminate? How is this going to work in our ceiling fans, bathroom light fixtures, etc. I haven't had much experience with LED lighting, but that's th direction I'm going instead of flourescent light bulbs. froggyintexas
That is crazy-I thought these were supposed to be better for the environment?? I'll make it simpler on myself and just use LED or incandescent. I hate CFL bulbs-they give me awful headaches.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:52 PM

God bless our STUPID goverment and all the idiots who decided to make this law. We will not be able to buy the old ones soon, if not already. Just like all the global warming that the ones who started it have now admitted it was NOT true. Love it.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:07 PM

1984 hope and change