Charity - - -

Old 10-07-2016, 09:43 AM

You cant tell my charity quilts from my gift quilts, except my personal and/or gift quilts are hand quilted and my charity quilts are DMQ quilted. The quality of the fabric, design, and batting are all the same nice stuff.

I do not "write it off" because I am a middleman. I am too sick to be out and about connecting with charities personally, so I make them and give them to people who do connect. Do they write them off? I do not know, or care. And, truthfully, not all of the fabric is mine anyway, a lot of people who work, and are too busy to make quilts, donate fabric and or scraps to me and I use that to make charity quilts. And no, they can't write it off what they give me because I am no 501C corp. Some of the fabric is damaged, some has been fussy cut, some is ugly...but I am able to cut around problems, and use the best part. I am always grateful, no matter the condition. I just say thank-you and only use the best part of the fabric on charity quilts. - Jane Quilter
Old 10-07-2016, 10:24 AM

I only use the quilt shop quality fabric, thread, batting, etc I'd use in any quilt. I've heard stories where people use cheap quality fabric, etc and some don't even seem to care if the quilt is quilted nicely or will hold up. I personally wouldn't feel right about doing that.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:00 PM

I haven't started charity quilting yet, but it's something I've wanted to do for a long time.

The difference for me-- charity quilts will be machine pieced/quilted (I am doing hand quilting for family/friends who I know will appreciate that difference). I'll also use pink in charity quilts, or other colors/designs I might not normally use. I can't stand pink, but know other people love it. Same with some designs, it may not be my style, but someone else would adore the different design. I don't think it's sub-quality or "ugly", just not what I would pick for myself.

I'm not doing it for the purpose of a tax deduction, but I'll take it (because it means I can buy more fabric! Then make more quilts!)
Old 10-08-2016, 04:23 AM

I use good materials but not a real involved pattern, something more simple.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:46 AM

A friend's sewing group makes quilts for homeless. They use double-knit poly for the fronts; cut in either 6" or 10" squares with batting and cotton backing. Most are twin sized, but a little longer. They use scraps of poly to make ties so they can be rolled and carried. Denim is very heavy and so they like the poly better - it wears well, too.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

I have fabric from curtains of 100% cotton. It won't be long donation drives for the homeless for winter will begin. I got a huge bag of polyester batting, I'll use for some of the quilts. I like to birth them then tie. I don't pass along fabric that has stains on them unless I can work around them. Otherwise I pitch it.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:38 AM

Just a thought...the homeless carry everything they own with them so it would be nice if it were made in such a manner that it could be rolled up with straps incorporated so it could be carried like a backpack with perhaps pockets on the back. And, even though I adore quilts, fleece may be a better choice for the homeless since it's warm and lighter than a quilt. Like I said......just a thought.....
Old 10-08-2016, 07:04 AM

I only use what I know will wash well. I do a lot of lap robes for nursing homes. I do some rather odd patterns but things I think will interest people stuck in beds or wheel chairs. I don't know who gets them but I hope they make people happy.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:53 AM

On the recipient end-- My son had eye surgery at Casey Eye Institute and received a tied whole-cloth quilt from The Elks (they sponsor a lot of things for the center and the children). It was very much loved and appreciated. We still have it.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:53 AM

Most of my quilting efforts go to charity. Currently, to a cancer treatment ward. I use what I would use for myself, family, and friends. I offered to quilt some donation quilts awhile back and was appalled at the lack of quality, not only in some of the fabric, but in the construction. I was told the receipients have very little and are grateful for everything, but really!! I did the ones I said I would but I'm not spending my effort on any more of those.

I love all aspects of creating a quilt and using poor quality materials and workmanship takes the joy out of it for me.