Christmas Plans?

Old 12-23-2012, 02:06 PM

I grew up celebrating with family on Christmas Eve--I have no idea why, that's just the way it always was. When I married, my in-laws always went back to their hometown, so husband and I joined my family on Christmas Eve. When DDs came along, I started cooking (Christmas Eve, of course) having my parents, brothers and their families, his aunt and uncle and friends whose families were out of town over. My brothers had to go to in-laws on Christmas Day. Besides, I wanted my kids to have Christmas morning at home so they could play with the toys Santa brought them. When they were a little older, their friends would stop by to play, talk, share. Our friends were also invited; the men watched football together. I always cooked enough to have plenty of left-overs for dinner that day.

My mother died in early Dec. in 1995 and I hadn't had time to get my act together, so one daughter had us all over. I was divorced by that time (although ex was there; we got along well), and I cried all the way home. My other daughter picked up my dad, as he was starting to have problems driving at night. I hated going home by myself to an empty house. Ever since that, I've had everyone here. This year, I suggested just having everyone over for pie and cookies. My daughters nixed that idea. They are cooking at home and bringing everything here. Woo hoo! I have the joy of having family here with no (or very little) work.

I hope you all have a joyous Christmas with your families. After all, family gatherings are one of the best parts of the Christmas season, no matter when it is held.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:18 PM

We have Fondue on Christmas Eve. It will be us (me, dh, ds and dd) and my Mum and his Mum.

Christmas Day I do a brunch. Guests cannot arrive before 10:00 am. I am adamant about that. One year the in-laws showed up at 8:30, I had not showered, got the food in the oven etc. I was very ticked off. These are the in-laws that expect to be waited on hand and foot.

My Mum is cooking a turkey. I would be very happy to just have nibbles the rest of the day and no big meal, as the brunch is a big meal. But Mum likes the big meal, I help out and will make the dessert too.

My ideal Christmas would be fondue Christmas Eve with people dropping in over the course of the evening, brunch Christmas Day, then a quiet day after brunch. Maybe a jig saw puzzle on the table or board games with the kids.

Actually my ideal Christmas would be staying in a hotel in the Canadian Rockies and having someone else doing all the work.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:21 PM

This year Christmas is just not finding me My mom and My mother In law both passed away. It sure will be different this year. Shopping is not done and I have a half a day left! Ug!!
Old 12-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Just got home from family Christmas gathering. Had a great time. Working Christmas Eve to support my nurses. Will spend christmas day at home, then business as usual...
Old 12-23-2012, 05:38 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Until this evening I was planning a Christmas Day noon dinner with my Mother and Aunt, just the 3 of us. But my stepmother just called to advise my step niece died last night, apparently in her sleep. She was only 35 years old and leaves a daughter, 8. We were not terribly close, but I want to make myself available to drive my stepmother to Richmond for the funeral or to be with her daughter, the mother, who is devastated. I don't know what the next 2-4 days will bring; it's a hard time of year to deal with this sort of thing for the family. So sad.

Jan in VA
Old 12-23-2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Until this evening I was planning a Christmas Day noon dinner with my Mother and Aunt, just the 3 of us. But my stepmother just called to advise my step niece died last night, apparently in her sleep. She was only 35 years old and leaves a daughter, 8. We were not terribly close, but I want to make myself available to drive my stepmother to Richmond for the funeral or to be with her daughter, the mother, who is devastated. I don't know what the next 2-4 days will bring; it's a hard time of year to deal with this sort of thing for the family. So sad.

Jan in VA
Thoughts and prayers to you and your family at this difficult time! Holidays do make it more difficult my mom passed away on My step granddaughters birthday and the day before Easter. There will be other Christmases to celebrate her short life.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:08 PM

Everyone comes to our house for dinner and present opening. This includes 2 daughters and husbands, 7 grandkids, 2 significant others plus 1 great grandaughter. Other grandaughter and husband are in Va. One new baby due 12/26 and another due in Feb. Love it, but the quiet is wonderful when everyone goes home. Merry Christmas everyone.

mltquilt
Old 12-23-2012, 07:19 PM

Hosted our 28th annual Christmas party with our friends last night. Christmas Eve with my family, cousins and last remaining aunt just like I have done since birth, 54 years ago. Traditions are wonderful and my own daughters always make plans to attend too. Christmas breakfast casserole is ready to bake while we are opening gifts on Christmas morning and a tray of lasagna, meatballs, Italian sausage and spaghetti sauce are all ready for Christmas dinner on Christmas evening. We have to now work around my daughter's fiance's family, so I took the breakfast and evening meals. I love this time of year.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:44 PM

Well, I am so glad you asked. Since we are military it always changes a wee bit, When we are close to my Mom and Dad, they usually come down here to be with us, Since my DH is a chaplain and always has Christmas eve services. So I am fixing a soup to eat before church and some appetizers for after church. Then on Christmas day The Dh is smoking a turkey and we will have all the trimming, of course. Hope every one has a wonderful day. Beth
Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 PM

My divorce was final at the end of September. After 23 years of marriage, he decided he did not want to be a husband, father, etc. This is the first Christmas I have to "share" the kids. I hate, hate, hate this. Since they have to go to their dads at noon on Christmas Day, we have decided to have Christmas on Christmas Eve. We are cooking a ham, potatoes, carrots and pie. My children are 16, 13 and 11 so they know about Santa. We are opening gifts and going to stay up all night playing. I am excited about the evening.