Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Close-to-the-body purse ideas please! >

Close-to-the-body purse ideas please!

Close-to-the-body purse ideas please!

Old 11-25-2013, 02:31 PM

Default Close-to-the-body purse ideas please!

Last year in Santiago, Chile, some thief sliced into my shoulder bag on a busy street and stole what they could grab from inside my purse. I was pleased that all they managed to get was my tiny make-up kit (lipstick, chap stick, emery boards, comb, etc.) I like to think of them counting on a wallet or a passport and getting just my little junk.

For our next trip, I would like to make a bag that hangs in the front on a long strap, like a messenger bag but much smaller. That way, I can hold it close and perhaps under a jacket, but in front so it would be readily accessible to me but hard for a thief to get to. Should be big enough for passport, maybe a tour book and sun glasses, but not bulky.

So-o-o (end of long story) I am looking for a pattern, free or commercial for such a bag. Any suggestions?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

I made a bag that was just big enough to go across my bust and tuck into my bra. I did it from soft cotton fabric with a nylon zipper on the top. I sewed a piece of seam binding across the top of the bag and extended the ends and put snaps on the ends of the bias tape. I snapped both ends around my bra straps, tucked most of the bag along my bust. When I needed my money or travelers check I went to the washroom and unzipped and removed the money I wanted and re zipped.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:26 PM

I recently made one. At first I had grandiose plans with several of my favorite color cottons, but in the end, found it easier to use a square of upholstery remnant. Lined it and put a magnetic closure on the inside. I saw many that had zippered outer pockets, but didn't want the inconvenience, so I just folded a piece of fabric so the fold was the top, eliminating the need to hem it, and placed it on the front at an angle before sewing the side seams. It's a flat pocket for the room key or other cards. My advice is to wear it around for a day. I found that it was just a bit too long, and irritated my leg, so I came home and cut some length off the handle before its second use.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

perhaps something like a "fanny" pack that goes around your waist would work?
Old 11-25-2013, 04:58 PM

I use a "biker wallet" a leather wallet with a chain . they make smaller ones for lady bikers
Old 11-25-2013, 05:46 PM
yel

i made one a few years ago .....we got the pattern in paducha [the girlfriend has the pattern but it was a FLIP FLOP BAG the pockets could be changed around had a long strap and sounds like what you need ....
Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 PM
yel

i made one a few years ago .....we got the pattern in paducha [the girlfriend has the pattern but it was a FLIP FLOP BAG the pockets could be changed around had a long strap and sounds like what you need ....i made myself a paper pattern off it .........
Old 11-25-2013, 05:56 PM

Be careful of jewelery also. My daughter had someone rip her necklace off through an open window of a private car in Peru. It had great sentimental value and she was sad to have lost it.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:14 PM

I do not have a bag pattern, but unfortunately, thievery goes on all over the world. When we were in Scandinavia, we were warned to put locks on backpacks because the thieves worked in groups of three - one to distract you, one to steal from the backpack, and the third person took the stolen items and dropped them in a post box so no evidence existed that they had committed a crime.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:28 PM
yel

ok sorry for the double post but i got the hook up on the pattern.....it is at www.jeanycreations.com .....good luck ...have fun