Closing ceremonies?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 AM

At least they featured his best song in the world IMHO "Imagine". Great place to play it with all the countries there.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 AM

I was irritated by NBC...the coverage was OK...content was good...enjoyed the Monty Python bit very very much. But, I can't believe that NBC stopped the tape of the show to put on a second rate sitcom, Animal Hospital (?) and then the news and THEN put on the end of the closing ceremonies...which included The Who.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:13 AM

I usually enjoy wathcing both the opening ceramony and the closing ceramony, but I didn't like the ceramonies at all this! They seemed so disjointed.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:19 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
It was good sound here in Canada!
I thought they did a great job of showing us the whole production.

Keep in mind, it's a massive venue ... and without a dress rehearsal.
Similarly, the TV cameras wouldn't have had that preview to figure out how to cover it.

Plus ... it has been a quick paced program, so in all fairness, they really don't have much of a chance to capture things, and then they're gone!

The live show was immediately followed by a re-play!! It'd kind of nice to catch parts of it again!!

The show is outstanding ... JIMHO!
I can only wonder if you Canadians had your own TV stations doing your reporting there, then. Our complaint was not with the show itself, I think it must have been fabulous. NBC's reporting in the States....not so much!! They have had a lot of bad press over the Olympics this time; the complaint isn't just mine.

I finally ended up watching some PBS show on Helen of Troy.

Jan in VA
Old 08-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

I liked some bits like stomp, and Eric Idle, and the goth ship. Not sure about Jessie J's outfits (good voice though). I think the sound of the rush hour was meant to be disjointed to evoke the emotion of the rushing city. Could have done without that and I could DEFINITELY have done without the spice girls. Didn't anyone realize that spice has an expiration date? lol
Old 08-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I can only wonder if you Canadians had your own TV stations doing your reporting there, then.
Yes we have our own Canadian TV stations.
CTV had the Olympic rights this time, as well as the Vancouver Winter Olympics two yrs ago.

The IOC announced early in these Olympics that CBC would be allowed the coverage for the next winter and summer Olympics.

The same will happen in the USA.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:39 PM

I thought the closing was just a big old rock concert. I loved the Beatles, and the Lennon video, bits here and there, but it didn't keep my interest as those ceremonies usual do. I enjoy watching the competitors all partying together, having a good time. QuiltE, my guess is your TV did a better job of broadcasting. I agree NBC cut thing up too much, and spent WAAYYY too much time gushing about the American winners, and such. I love the stories of athletes from around the world, but wish they didn't stop in the middle of an event to show really schmaltzy bits.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:44 PM

I didn't watch the whole thing, I didn't get it.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
I was irritated by NBC...the coverage was OK...content was good...enjoyed the Monty Python bit very very much. But, I can't believe that NBC stopped the tape of the show to put on a second rate sitcom, Animal Hospital (?) and then the news and THEN put on the end of the closing ceremonies...which included The Who.
What??? There was MORE??? I missed The Who!!!!!!! DRAT!! I went to bed!!

I am totally disappointed in the way NBC handled the entire broadcast from start to finish. Never cared for Costas before and like him less every two years he attempts to ruin one of the only sporting events I watch. I miss McKay!!!

I'll have to see if I can find the remainder of the closing ceremony (which I DID enjoy) on demand - like I had to do so I could see ANY of the equestrian events that NBC completely ignored.

Loved the Monty Python bit ... would have preferred Eric Idle sing the Universe song though - and they missed a great opportunity to have knights with coconuts!! But I loved the roller skating nuns with Union jack knickers!!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:01 AM

Personally I did not care for the closing ceremonies, maybe it was the sound that was so irrating. I kept asking hubby, do we need to turn it up or what? I ended up finding something else to watch. I did enjoy Lennon at the beginning and like someone else mentioned I barely had time to figure out that was his face. Not overly pleased with the entire coverage from NBC, but I guess it was better than not having any.