Clothing Measurements

Old 09-10-2014, 09:05 AM

Default Clothing Measurements

I just finished arguing with my daughter about how to measure yourself or someone else for making clothing. I'm not sure if all the points I made were clear enough for her to understand that just because her daughter wears her pants lower on the hip doesn't mean you buy patterns using the hip measurement as the waistline. So I decided to draw up a measurement guide for her so we can get this straight and maybe I can make her daughter something that fits her properly.

So I decided to share this guide in case others are having similar problems explaining it to the younger generation.
Attached Thumbnails sewing-measuring-chart.jpeg  
Old 09-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

Only a non sewer could think that don't need accurate measurements. I don't make fitted clothes but stick to elastic waistbands.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Boy , I remember that.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:49 PM

Lately, any patterns I buy seem to have nothing to do with the measurements listed on them. I don't know if something has changed in modern patterns or what the deal is, but it is a pain. I hope your chart helps with your project.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

when i was a machine knitter, we had to take all these measurements to knit pants!... yes we even knitted pants. it's like quilters making everything quilty. LOL
Old 09-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

Yesterday I decided to try and make myself a dress. I normally wear a 4 petite in ready to wear. My hip measurement translates to a size 16 in the pattern! Accurate measurements are so important. Your chart is good. I would change the word "crouch" to "crotch" though.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:52 PM

Sometimes the confusion isn't in the fit or terminology, it's in the location. I used to work out at a gym that helped people keep goals by tracking their weight, measurements, workout levels, etc. When I went for a weigh & measure, what I considered my waist and what they considered my waist were two totally different areas on my body. I had the same problem with my mother-in-law - she asked me to adjust a skirt waistband, so I measured her and adjusted it. Problem was, she wanted to wear that skirt a lot higher than I had adjusted it for, so it didn't fit the way she wanted it to.

I have a hard time finding jeans that fit correctly - the waist is always far too high on me and I end up with a baggy crotch, even though I am long-waisted. I usually end up wearing a belt and rolling the waist up over it. Makes me wonder how those pants fit the poor creatures with short waists.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:47 AM

Glad you caught that Thanks I will and yes I remember when I did make fitted clothes for people long time ago the hardest part was explaining to them why I needed to buy a pattern larger then what size clothes they were buying in the stores. They have always been different as far as I know.

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Yesterday I decided to try and make myself a dress. I normally wear a 4 petite in ready to wear. My hip measurement translates to a size 16 in the pattern! Accurate measurements are so important. Your chart is good. I would change the word "crouch" to "crotch" though.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:58 AM

Peckish, the reason I put "Natural Waist" is this gives you an idea where to measure. The natural waist is the smallest area between your breast and your hips. If you use this as a starting point and then adjust your pattern from there, chances are you will get a good fit.

I am very short waisted and yes I agree that it's almost impossible for me to buy a pair of pants that fit. Most pants that fit my butt usually come up over my ribs. SO I quit buying clothes and make my own. Even shirts are a pain since they hang to long, not what a short person needs. It use to be funny when I was tiny because I could buy a shirt one size larger and then slap on a belt and have me a dress.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I have a hard time finding jeans that fit correctly - the waist is always far too high on me and I end up with a baggy crotch, even though I am long-waisted. I usually end up wearing a belt and rolling the waist up over it. Makes me wonder how those pants fit the poor creatures with short waists.
I am the one of those short-waisted people! I was thrilled when low-rise jeans became popular because they fit me like normal jeans fit on regular people. They're getting harder to find; when I find jeans or work pants that fit well I will buy 5 pair!!

Plus I'm plenty overweight so I really don't need this big roll of belt and denim making me look even MORE lumpy than I already am!