College for Autistic kids

Old 11-21-2010, 02:09 PM

I worked with special children when I was much younger. I worked at a school, and also for Easter Seals. The one thing that I learned from these kids, is that they have more love for everyone than the rest of us could give. It is wonderful your daughter works so much with him. Some children are forgotten and don't get the opportunity to learn. This would be wonderful if the college is still available to him when he's 18. Will keep you all in my prayers. Tell your daughter she is doing a wonderful job.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Here is the link for the site for The Reach program in Iowa City.
http://www.education.uiowa.edu/reach/

More info
http://www.globegazette.com/news/loc...b5ed953f7.html
Old 11-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by klgreene
I worked with special children when I was much younger. I worked at a school, and also for Easter Seals. The one thing that I learned from these kids, is that they have more love for everyone than the rest of us could give. It is wonderful your daughter works so much with him. Some children are forgotten and don't get the opportunity to learn. This would be wonderful if the college is still available to him when he's 18. Will keep you all in my prayers. Tell your daughter she is doing a wonderful job.
Thanks Katie I think she does a wonderful job. She uses laughter and silliness to distract him when he gets too stressed out or can't stop obsessing over something. She tries to keep it light and happy not yelling and screaming.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Power Poster

That sounds like a wonderful program.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:19 PM

So cool! I have taught many Autistic students. I also had an foster son for three years that had aspburgers(high functioning Autism.)
Sometimes his reasoning skills were unique. One rainy day he got wet on the way to school. At recess the teachers kept telling him to stay out of the water, later I got a phone call and he had to stay in for some recesses. When he got home I asked him what was up with that. He said he was already wet so he didn't need to stay out of the water.

He was totally serious, that is what he really thought. He was sooo mad at the teacher that made him stay in.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:25 PM

Have you heard of Temple Grandin? She has a great book; Emergence: Labelled Autistic. Her mother also wrote a book; A Thorn in My Pocket.

Temple is an interesting person and speaker. She's a professor at the Univeristy of Colorado.

Patricia
Old 11-21-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell
Have you heard of Temple Grandin? She has a great book; Emergence: Labelled Autistic. Her mother also wrote a book; A Thorn in My Pocket.

Temple is an interesting person and speaker. She's a professor at the Univeristy of Colorado.

Patricia
A movie was made about her did you see it? It ws good.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Cyn

What a wonderful family. I hope all the best for you all!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kooklabell

Patricia
My DD Sara has told me alot about her. Sara keeps me up on all the things she learns.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Aunt Retta
So cool! I have taught many Autistic students. I also had an foster son for three years that had aspburgers(high functioning Autism.)
Sometimes his reasoning skills were unique. One rainy day he got wet on the way to school. At recess the teachers kept telling him to stay out of the water, later I got a phone call and he had to stay in for some recesses. When he got home I asked him what was up with that. He said he was already wet so he didn't need to stay out of the water.

He was totally serious, that is what he really thought. He was sooo mad at the teacher that made him stay in.
This is my son Stephen to a T...

We had a huge meeting at school today and several times someone had to point out to the teacher, does she think Stephen realizes that you can't make comments about people, do you think Stephen KNOWS what to do in social situations? The answer was no, I'm hoping by the end of it she's caught on!