computer price differences

Old 07-18-2011, 07:53 AM

Yesterday I decided to update my relic laptop. My son went to his mega computer (you know how those gamers are!) and I went to his laptop. So, side by side we went to the Dell website. First time around we both got different home pages. Go figure. We start over and get to the same home page on the second try. I pick out my computer and we start to customize it. He works on one computer, I work on the other computer, two feet beside him. We both make the same changes to my new computer. We finish, I'm so excited about my new girl.
Whoo-hoo. Okay, I'll take over and submit the order. But wait...the computer is $40 cheaper on the mega computer than it is on his laptop! What!!! His friend has dropped by at this point and takes my place at the laptop. They go back and look at all the specs side by side. The specs all match. This is bizarre. I'm crazy but not stupid...I sit down at Michael's mega computer and ordered the cheaper one. This ever happen to anyone else?
Old 07-18-2011, 07:56 AM

wow, that is bizarre - almost like shopping for a new car as a woman vs. as a man. I would call Dell and ask them what's up with that.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:10 AM

could be the mega store gets a quantity discount that you as an individual buyer wouldn't. just a thought.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by MzMcKee
could be the mega store gets a quantity discount that you as an individual buyer wouldn't. just a thought.
The "mega" reference was about a computer, not a store. They were both online at the same website.

My DH is a Dell reseller and says there was something different somewhere. $40 is not that much, so it was probably small, like the color of the case. He says you should be able to go and look, line by line, and see each individual charge for each item in the computer. Were you able to see that?
Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 AM

This is due to "marketing analytics". The Dell site favors your son for some reason. Many sites do this now. Some people will get different offerings or prices depending on what the selling site knows about them. Personally, I don't like it.