Computer Scam Warning

Old 03-15-2011, 07:12 AM

To all my KQB friends, computer scam warning. Whatever you do don't open or click on a popup called "Windows System Tool" it has a combination lock icon. You'll think it's your system warning you about a virus, but it's a scam. Once you open it it "scans" your computer for threats but actually locks your system up until you purchase the software. It locks up MalWare, Crapcleaner, everything. Had to have my computer buddy take mine to his house just to get rid of this crap. They don't give you an option whether to buy or not, just locks up your whole system.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:16 AM
Banned

Thanks for this. We can't be too careful.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:20 AM

Be Careful. This happened to our son and it was in the shop for a week.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:42 AM

that is the one that I got hit with. It locked up everything, I couldnt even get it off the screen or get into my anti virus or security. I had to turn off and call for service. It took the man an hour to get things fixed and cost me $65. He told me that even if I had ordered the software they wanted to sell, chances are I wouldn't have gotten anything and they would have had all my credit info. He said a lot of this is coming from other countries sand id a multi-million dollar business. He said even with all the protection I had, those hackers can get through . Scary isnt it? He also said that it could have been lurking in my computer for quite awhile. He downloded a free Malware program and told me to scan at least once a week, in addition to my regular set-up.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the warning!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 AM

we have been hit with that before as well..Here is something that I have learned that seems to help me..Take the computer down..(shut it off) manually if you have too..Than before you boot it back up..Keep your finger on the F8 button and than bring computer up..do not take the finger off the F8 until the computer is on..Your icons will be HUGH in that mode..that will put in a safe mood..From there you can either locate the file and delete it from your computer or you can do what is called a recovery or partial recovery..(system restore) which you can choose what date you want the computer to restore itself..It will take away any programs that you have downloaded up to that date..than shut the computer down and reboot..It should go back into its regular mode..
Old 03-15-2011, 10:44 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm just had this happen to me not long ago too. I did a system recovery and fixed it. We just can't be too careful!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:44 AM

sorry double post.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 AM

my son is an internet tech and he says if you get ANYTHING that says it's from 'Windows' DO NOT CLICK ANYWHERE ON IT OR TRY TO X OUT. you should press ALT F4 and if that doesn't work do ALT CTRL DELETE all at once and your system manager will come up and click to shut down. OR unplug your computer. I have notices posted at all our computers here at work and someone clicked on the pop-up. Took a looooooong time getting it straighted out. Remember ALT F4 or pull the plug.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:06 AM

Tried F8 but didn't know I had to shut computer down and reboot. Didn't know about ALT F4 either. This one got past my popup blocker and firewalls.