Connecting the Dots

Old 12-15-2016, 05:11 PM

Lightbulb Connecting the Dots

Your sewing machine has given birth to a quilting monster. A very lovely one course! But does it end there? What new hobbies have you taken up as a result of all you've learned? Are there are few things on your bucket list that you haven't tried? Do tell!

Here's my map:

Sewing-> Hand Embroidery-> Quilting-> Pattern Making-> Fashion Design

I was enrolled in a fashion design program in high school. I could see the designs in my mind but couldn't draw. Learning to sew has given me the confidence to try new things and in the process I've come full circle. I'm beginning to feel like an artist. Who knew.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:23 PM

Mine goes:

Sewing clothes (not that well!) - Stained glass - Drawing SG patterns - Arthritis- Quilting- making Quilt patterns

Probably don't have much more in me!
Old 12-15-2016, 06:26 PM

I have tried many many crafts After taking up quilting those others have fallen to the wayside. I will occasionally do a cross stitch project but very few as this wonderful disease has consumed me. Now I have way too big a stash to quit so on we go ��
Old 12-15-2016, 08:34 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

needlepoint/crewel embroidery/counted cross stitch - light general sewing - some clothing design and sewing - candlewicking - quilting class - quilt pattern design - quilt and textile history research - teaching quilting

Jan in VA
Old 12-15-2016, 08:39 PM

sewing clothes--embroidery--some knitting--gardening at a big level (which is almost over due to arthritis)--photography--quilting--long arm quilting
Old 12-16-2016, 03:01 AM

knitting.....quilting....plastic canvas.....needlework/crossstitch(didn't last long)...gardening/quilting...quilting.
Somewhere in there was a period where I did macrame for a short period.
Still garden but on a much smaller scale.
Plan to start making bags/purses starting in new year.

Last edited by anne2016; 12-16-2016 at 03:03 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:25 AM

Sewing (home ec/Mom in the 60s); knitting (learned from GS leader); counted cross stitch(love it); crochet(friend taught me on long ride to Florida); retired took quilting class (big time love); sew handbags/tote(many I have deisgned); took beading class because needed zipper pulls on handbags (love this also); making mittens from recycled wool sweaters. Just love, love handwork. Will be returning to sewing garment in the line of robes/nightshirts which I need new and cannot find nightshirts in flannel.

Thanks for starting this thread.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:37 AM

Hand embroidery (still do this when my hands allow it) - cross stitch - sewing clothing (made my wedding dress!) - ceramics - stained glass - quilting - just beginning to design quilting and embroidery patterns... - thinking about getting back into sewing clothing.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:58 AM

I would love to draw embroidery patterns, especially simple ones for redwork, but even my stick figures don't look great, lol. Then again, I was convinced I couldn't sew and now I make quilts, so maybe I need to give it a try...
Old 12-16-2016, 07:47 AM

Wow, I'm really enjoying your replies. We're a creative bunch! I came to sewing with a extensive background in food and a burgeoning interest in photography and scrapbooking. I'd tried my hand at gardening in the past and spent a season working on an organic farm. That led to the development of a slow living philosophy and loads of homemade products.

Many of you have mentioned things I like or would like to learn. I suspect that nurturing ones creativity gives birth to even more. And you've all proven this through your responses!