Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cooked-on grease on stovetop >

Cooked-on grease on stovetop

Cooked-on grease on stovetop

Old 10-04-2010, 01:34 PM

I said Odell might not be on the map how....I was born in the late 30s! My daughter lives in Katy, so I know where Houston is!!!!

Originally Posted by nativetexan
Odell, ha! i'd have to look that one up too. I'm from Houston!
:lol:
Old 10-04-2010, 02:14 PM

Go on line and find the manufacture ask them what to use if you use the wrong stuff you can dammage the top. My husband always cooked breakfast and would get egg on my top(rest his sole what a sweethart) I use cermaic cleaner, get it at Lowes or any hardware store it has a scruber with it. It will take it off.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by carhop
Go on line and find the manufacture ask them what to use if you use the wrong stuff you can dammage the top. My husband always cooked breakfast and would get egg on my top(rest his sole what a sweethart) I use cermaic cleaner, get it at Lowes or any hardware store it has a scruber with it. It will take it off.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

My Maytag smooth top came with a razor blade scrapper. How on earth do you clean a smooth top without one? I don't baby my cooktop at all, what ever I have handy to spray on it, cleans it up after a few swipes with the scrapper. I use Scrubbing Bubbles, Windex, even carpet cleaner if that's what I grab first. I will never buy another Maytag though, the company told me I could get a new top if any cooking mark did not scrap or clean off. I had a Maytag repairman come out and he said Maytag knew the tops would turn black after being heated to high heat and now the company said it's cosmetic and will not affect the cooking so the warranty will not cover it. I guess I could sue for a new one but I prefer to tell how shabby they treat customers.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:58 PM

And the darn Maytags last forever! I have a Maytag washing machine that is over 15 years old and have never had a problem with it! It's the pits they won't honor their warranty on your cooktop.

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
My Maytag smooth top came with a razor blade scrapper. How on earth do you clean a smooth top without one? I don't baby my cooktop at all, what ever I have handy to spray on it, cleans it up after a few swipes with the scrapper. I use Scrubbing Bubbles, Windex, even carpet cleaner if that's what I grab first. I will never buy another Maytag though, the company told me I could get a new top if any cooking mark did not scrap or clean off. I had a Maytag repairman come out and he said Maytag knew the tops would turn black after being heated to high heat and now the company said it's cosmetic and will not affect the cooking so the warranty will not cover it. I guess I could sue for a new one but I prefer to tell how shabby they treat customers.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
A friend of mine desided to help his wife (at 3am) and used sand paper needless to say he had to buy a new top
Old 10-05-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I've used a razor blade to get the stuff loose. Then I use baking soda and a soft scrubby.

Cheryl: I haven't been able to find DeSolvit for several years. I love that stuff.
What is 0000 steel wool? I know about brillo pads, but I don't know about 0000 steel wool.
Kathy,

Try looking up distributors in your state or area on the internet and maybe you'll be able to find the DeSolvit. It's so good and I'm glad we have it here in Minnesota. Go to your local Hardware store and they should carry it. It's just plain steel wool (no soap), they have all sorts of different grades of it. Make sure you get the one that has 0000 on it. The others will be abrasive for all the things I mentioned that the 0000 could be used for. It really is safe for your stove, mirrors, aluminum, etc. Good luck :thumbup: :-)

Cheryl
Old 10-05-2010, 05:40 AM

I've used a razor blade to get the stuff loose. Then I use baking soda and a soft scrubby.

Cheryl: I haven't been able to find DeSolvit for several years. I love that stuff.
What is 0000 steel wool? I know about brillo pads, but I don't know about 0000 steel wool.
Kathy,

What ever you do, DON'T use brillo pads of any kind, they are way too abrasive and WILL definitely leave scratches. When I cleaned my daughters', she had baked on stuff, I did carefully use a razor blade to get the worst of it.

An added hint for shine, after cleaning, is using wintergreen alcohol. I mix 1 part wintergreen to 1 part water in a spray bottle and it smells nice when you use it. Vinegar works great too, but doesn't smell as nice. I use it for shine in the bathroom and mirrors too, after cleaning them.

Cheryl
Old 10-05-2010, 06:26 PM

I get a spray bottle of cleaner from SAMS CLUB..It is a restaurant and stove cleaner..simply spray on and the crud dissolves....then rinse off,,,not much hard scrubbing done at all...It comes in a pac of 3 bottles..the name is PROFORCE, grill,oven,burner cleaner....a little bit goes a long way..I bought mine last fall and am just about to start the 2nd bottle....Its the best I ever used
Old 10-05-2010, 06:30 PM

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Love my stash

Kathy,

What ever you do, DON'T use brillo pads of any kind, they are way too abrasive and WILL definitely leave scratches. When I cleaned my daughters', she had baked on stuff, I did carefully use a razor blade to get the worst of it.

An added hint for shine, after cleaning, is using wintergreen alcohol. I mix 1 part wintergreen to 1 part water in a spray bottle and it smells nice when you use it. Vinegar works great too, but doesn't smell as nice. I use it for shine in the bathroom and mirrors too, after cleaning them.

Cheryl