Cooking Disasters

Old 10-17-2010, 02:04 PM

We never told her why no one wanted her turkey. She thought it was perfectly safe to eat. She died a few years ago, never knowing the truth.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Mine wasn't so much a cooking a disaster but a disaster all the same..it was Christmas Day, there were quite a few of us, I had had to work,had prepared all the food and it was cooking slowly in the oven, I came in early afternooon, took the meat out and thought I would have a glass of wine and relax a moment while the veg was cooking. My hubby was supposed to be looking after the dog, he forgot!!!the dog got into the kitchen and ate all the meat,Luckily I had previously cooked a ham for Boxing Day so we had that instead. it has never been forgotten by any of us.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:53 PM

Promise you won't tell my two sisters, but one Thanksgiving when we were all still living with our parents I took the turkey out of the oven and promptly dropped in on the floor. Nobody saw it, everybody ate it, and as long as you don't tell they'll never know.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 PM

When I was a newlywed Navy wife, my husband invited an officer and his wife (a nutritionist) to dinner. We had a very tiny little kitchen. I had a beautiful Ragu pot roast simmering on the stove, a pot of noodles cooking and a lovely salad standing by. The officer's wife was admiring my canister and I went to show her the rest of the set which was over the stove. The one full of popcorn hit the range hood as I was bringing it down and popcorn kernals landed in all the food! It was quite embarassing to sit across from these people with the noise of chew, chew, crunch. I'm surprised no one broke a tooth!
Old 10-17-2010, 06:19 PM

Embarrassing. On the first Thanksgiving that I cooked a turkey, I did the same thing, left the small package of stuff in the turkey. Imagine my surprise when ny DH cut the turkey and pulled it out! We all had a good laughand enjoyed our dinner. Now that my daughter cooks the meal, she called last year and asked "Am I supposed to take the bag out of the turkey?" Like mother, like daughter!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:23 AM

Not exactly my mistake, but I thought I would share. I eat regularly at a local Indian restaurant and really like spiced tea. They had a rather young and inexperienced waiter who made me my favourite spiced tea but didn't know he had to put tea in the pot. I got spiced water. After a conversation resembling "The Emperor's New Clothes" fairy tale, we had a good laugh and I got my spiced tea. His English has improved a lot and I've learned the relevant phrases as well.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:17 AM

This isn't a cooking disaster but I'll tell it anyway. Carol liked to make blueberry wine to have on special days. She would let the wine work in the bottles. One Christmas, her friend came for a meal and brought along a couple that Carol had never met. Carol decided to open a bottle of the blueberry wine. Well, long story short, the cork popped suddenly and wine sprayed into the air hitting the ceiling, and falling onto the white tablecloth, all over the food and over everyone's clothes. Carol was mortified, mainly because of the 'strangers'. But they were good sports and everyone had a good laugh. Carol said later that she never could get all the wine off the textured ceiling.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:41 AM

Both of my Grand parents were blind; My Grandmother from birth.. One time at a family gathering My Grandmother was making Shrimp Creole; My Grndfather did all the shopping, and labeled all the cans in braile... there was one large can that didn't have a label... when we sat down to eat, there they were.... sliced peaches in the creole!!!!!!! LOL!!! My Grandmother was mortified! but, it's a great memory for me.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:47 AM

Not living near family, we invited others without nearby family to come have Thanksgiving dinner with us. My BIL came this particular year to be with us. My husband built a smoker to smoke the turkey, but we always finished it on the regular charcoal grill. The grill was old and not very stable, so we had a wire securing it to a metal rail on the patio. One time that we checked it, the leg gave way under the wieght of the turky. The turkey rolled off and across the patio! We {most of us} laughed so hard! Since the skin was too smokey to eat anyway, we just removed it and ate it anyway. No worse for wear! We still smoke turkeys {and chickens} around Thanksgiving time, but have a much nicer smoker. My BIL bought us a brand new Weber grill before he left that year and we were very thankful.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:47 AM

Our holiday cooking disaster was the Christmas morning we thought the house was on fire. We planned to cook a very large turkey that we had raised, but it wouldn't fit into my roasting pan. So on Christmas eve my husband tucked it into two baking bags, one from each end, and set it on a cookie sheet. We put the turkey in the oven and set the timer to start baking at about 5 a.m. We were awakened around 7 a.m. to the smoke alarm and a house full of thick smoke. It was terrifying! But thankfully the house wasn't on fire. The turkey was baking just fine, but the juices cooking out of it had overflowed the cookie sheet and were spilling onto the heating element, causing lots of smoke. We had to open the windows and doors and turn on fans to get the smoke out. We sat around our Christmas tree, opening our presents with heavy sweaters on and blankets wrapped around us, drinking lots of hot chocolate to stay warm. It was a Christmas we'll never forget!