Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Copyrighted Material Question >

Copyrighted Material Question

Copyrighted Material Question

Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 AM

Just curious. Why do people think it is o.k. to copy a pattern (or, anything else for that matter) that has a copyright to it? Is it because we don't think it is a big deal? We won't get caught? No one cares? If it is copyrighted it is intellectual that the owner should be compensated for by each user. Comments?
Old 05-28-2011, 08:49 AM

We don't think it's o.k. here. In fact this board will delete any topics for requests to break copyright law.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:49 AM

we should not
if you see it happening here please send a pm to a moderator
Old 05-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

It is definitely not ok, but I think some people do it without thinking.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

some folks are just unaware
Old 05-28-2011, 10:10 AM

I think we've been through this before, and came to the realization that copyright means you simply cannot copy the pattern and sell it. Maybe a bad thing to do is to use it and make things to sell that are exact copies of what the pattern looks like and not give credit to the pattern maker.
BUT I suspect there are lots of pictures still in existence of old quilts exactly or a lot like theirs, made before the pattern copyrighters were even born, that obviously puts that pattern in doubt. Quilts have evolved in different states and countries over time, and lots of women have had the same ideas of what is lovely and put those ideas in their quilts.
From what I've seen here, lots if not most quilters put their own ideas in their quilts, while more or less following the guidelines of the pattern maker, who we know did work hard trying to make their patterns lovely and accurate.
There are a lot of comments in the past here that can still be accessed on this matter, for and against lots of ideas on this subject.
I think that if you make a quilt and show it, you really should give the pattern maker credit for that pattern. And also give the LA quilter credit, since that is an art form in itself. Otherwise, all that work on the quilt is the MAKER's work and no other person could duplicate it. Quilts aren't clones, (Walmart quilts excepted) I don't think anyone can or would want to make clones of their quilts, except perhaps in the case of making them for twins, and even then there should be some small difference to set them apart.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:16 AM

If it is copyrighted it is intellectual that the owner should be compensated for by each user. Comments?[/quote]
----------------------------------------------
The copywriter gets the money from the buyer who pays for the pattern. It then belongs to the buyer, but s/he can not SELL this actual pattern or a copy, but I think can give it or loan it to others. The resulting quilt I think can put it up for raffle or sale for charity, but the selling of the quilt, well, we've had a lot of comments on that, probably is okay, and from what I've gleaned from all the fall-out, making a quilt from that pattern for a client might be legal. Making a quilt from this pattern for gifting, I'm sure won't make any pattern maker rush to a lawyer.
If I'm not correct, please comment on this.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I thought the question was about copying the pattern, not making the product??? Maybe I misunderstood.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I thought the question was about copying the pattern, not making the product??? Maybe I misunderstood.
I was referring to copying the pattern or sharing the pattern with others.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:05 AM

Based on personal experience, I think several things are happening.

I think many people truly don't understand what "copyright" is.

Many people believe that when they buy a pattern - "it's mine and I can do what I want with it".

I've heard some say "Oh, just this one time won't hurt".

Also, one friend doesn't want to say "no" to another friend who asks for a copy.