Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Corduroy fabric for dog bed? >

Corduroy fabric for dog bed?

Corduroy fabric for dog bed?

Old 06-30-2013, 12:31 PM

Hey yard sale season is here and you could pick up some Men's jeans etc to make it out of... Most jeans I have seen at yard sales is about $1.00 each or less... make it like a pillow cover with a zipper or velcro at one end and you can take it off and wash it...
Old 06-30-2013, 04:28 PM

I posted on another thread that I made pads for our Golden Retriever (outside dog and very large) out of old jeans scraps. Lined with old blanket. Worked great! Just stitched strips of denim to an old sheet then the blanket.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:32 PM

I posted on another thread that I made pads for our Golden Retriever (outside dog and very large) out of old jeans scraps. Lined with old blanket. Worked great! Just stitched strips of denim to an old sheet then the blanket.
Forgot that I have a Lot of corduroy that my DM bought when she had a little country remnant shop. Will have to dig it out and try your idea.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
Oooohhh, I love that idea! A nice soft, but sturdy, denim. Thanks, I knew you guys would have the answer!!
Denim or cotton duck. Yeah!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

I've tried corduroy, denim, sheets, and others such as an oil cloth and it doesn't matter. Just give it a shake on a daily basis and wash once a week. I've used fabric softener sheets (unscented) others make them sneeze. Still use the dryer sheets. It's about the only thing you can do. My dogs of course are much hairier than yours. I have to Swiffer the house 2-3 times a day. Every other day I have to vacuum and mop 2xs a week. I get tired and when I look behind me there's more hair. Next time if there is another dog it is going to be one of those bald one's or a poodle.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

I think denim would be better if you want something that is easier to keep hair off and will hold up to a lot of washing. or, you could make little quilts to cover your beds....love your fur babys...Adorable....
Old 07-01-2013, 07:11 AM

We have REALLY long haired cats to the point that chasing fur and fur bunnies is a full time occupation. I have made pillowcases for pet beds (and considering there are two cats with beds in my sewing room, our bedroom, DH's office, the kitchen, the great room, and the library), that makes quite a few pillowcases that need attention. But the pillowcase solution means that I do not have to replace or remake the basic beds. I only have to do one more load of wash a week. And yes, cats can dismantle, claw, chew, etc. a pet bed just like a dog.

I am always on the lookout for a better way to handle the fur project. Having them shaved doesn't seem to work - they get cold and demand being under covers. They take off their pet sweaters. Wish I knew how to attach a picture to show you the two fur balls.

Pat
Old 07-01-2013, 10:42 AM

I've made beds out of just about everything since I've always had multiple dogs. Right now they are mostly bedless since the 4 18-month old Labs have torn up all their beds. One thing that works pretty well is to make big pillowcases for their beds out of sheets from the Goodwill store. I've made some beds out of lightweight vinyl and covered them with sheets. Here are The Destroyers:

http://www.dogshaming.com/2013/06/th...b_source=pubv1
Attached Thumbnails sany0433.jpg  
Old 07-03-2013, 05:15 AM

I like corduroy for about anything, you can make it reversible too, cord on one side, and something else on the other, just in case you don't like it.