Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Corduroy fabric for dog bed?

Corduroy fabric for dog bed?

I'm going to make dog beds for my 2 short haired dogs and want something that won't 'hang onto' the hair and will hold up to weekly washings. I'm considering corduroy, what do you think?
    Name:  Photo0597.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  132.7 KB
    They're just on an old kid's comforter here.

Blog Entries
    not sure but it's certainly worth a try!!

Seems like it would hold up and work well. I know flannel or bushed tends to hold the hair but not sure about courderoy. Unfortunately, the only way to find out may be to try it. Good luck!

Power Poster
    The corduroy will hold onto the hair much like velvet due to the nap. You would need a good brush or sticky roller to keep it clean. A better durable fabric might be denim.

For the outdoor dog that we used to have, I made a bed/bag out of burlap that I bought from Joanne's and filled with cedar chips. Had to make a new one every year in the fall.

Later, our indoor dog preferred rugs. He was large for a house dog - 60 pounds. I bought the inexpensive nylon braided rugs from Wal-Mart. Used crochet cotton and whipped stitched two side by side then layered with two more stitched side by side. Then stitched (by hand) big stitches around the edges to hold together. When too yucky with hair - threw away and bought more. Back then they were $2.50 each so for $10 got a nice clean doggie sleep rug. He liked to really stretch out when sleeping. Even the largest bed we could find to buy was not large enough because he would rather stretch then curl up. They have such personalities!

I imagine old jeans would make a good bed but wonder about the seams being uncomfortable. Maybe you should just browse the indoor/outdoor fabric area at Joanne's and see what would be easy to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    The corduroy will hold onto the hair much like velvet due to the nap. You would need a good brush or sticky roller to keep it clean. A better durable fabric might be denim.
    I was going to say denim as well.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Oooohhh, I love that idea! A nice soft, but sturdy, denim. Thanks, I knew you guys would have the answer!!

Blog Entries
    My couch is made of that fake suede material and it doesn't hold my cat's hair. Also, if I spill something on it, it wipes up nicely with a wet sponge. Maybe this would be good for a dog bed.

Don''t know how that would work, but I do know that denim is great for not holding onto dog hair, stickers or the like

Blog Entries
    The crate beding my dogs and I am the most pleased with is the corduroy. I put the corduroy together like a pillowcase with the batting. Turned it right side out, top stitched shut, and tied about every 4 inches and have washed it many times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast