Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Corn on the cob

Corn on the cob

How do you freeze corn still on the cob? Do you shuck it or leave the husks on?

It is not a good idea to freeze it on the cob. The cob contains enzymes that will change the taste over time. Even if you blanch it, the heat does not get into the cob.

Blog Entries
    Well, when you buy it frozen at the store - Green Giant, etc. - it is husked. HTH
    Nikki in MO

Blog Entries
    My ML used to blanch ers and freeze There is a recipe where you cut off cob and add butter and cream or half and half put in containers and freeze it tastes fresh when you serve it the next winter

Blog Entries
    My inlaws, on the farm, used to pick the corn and just toss it into a freezer. One whole freezer reserved for corn. It was always really good. Nover tasted like cob or husks.

I just put cob corn up today, we husk it, blanch it (for 8 mins. after the water returns to a boil) soak in ice water till good and cold because the heat does go all the way through to the center of the cob, after it's cold we wrap in saran and put in zip lock bags. Ours always tastes as good as fresh.

I always just husk, rinse, and put in freezer bags. The water seals in the taste and we have eaten our corn two or three years later and it still tastes delicious!! I do blanch shelled peas and string beans though. Still have some from last year and it is much better then canned from the store. LOL

I also just put it husk & all in the freezer. I have lost about half of my crop of Silver Queen corn after all the rain we just had. It has lost all it's flavor, such a waste. It is now going to the birds, really!

what kathy said is how i do mine also.

Blog Entries
    You need to par boil after you shuck then cool the corn and bag it in freezer bags. We have done this for many years. I just got home from NC and helped my friend do over 200 ears like this. She has kept them for a yr. before and they are still good.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast