Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cracked corn vs whole feed corn >

Cracked corn vs whole feed corn

Cracked corn vs whole feed corn

Old 12-01-2014, 12:12 PM

Having used cracked corn in bird feeders, I can tell you it is VERY dusty! It also gets moldy rather easily, if it gets damp.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:30 PM

I made one with rice and hated the smell when it was heated. We only heated it for 45 seconds. Is there something that isn't quite so stinky?
Old 12-01-2014, 10:25 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Corn in these bags smells like popcorn to me when heated....and I don't like it.

I use rice (cheapest you can find) or flax seed or both together with a small amount (1/3 - 1/2 cup) of scented lavendar flowers added to help with odor AND relaxation. Flax seeds make the bags more shapeable to the body part needing comfort.

The bags I make of cotton can be heated or cooled. These are sewn closed. Then I cover that with another bag of flannel because it feels soft and can be removed to wash.

Jan in VA
Old 12-02-2014, 03:14 AM
Power Poster

We tend to use wheat here in Australia....just good old plain wheat you feed 'chooks' (slang for chickens). I add lavender and dried herbs depending on what scents people like.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:34 AM

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have a lot to make to donate to the local food pantry to be used as a little extra gift with Christmas baskets. I also make them as gifts for the children along with pillowcases. I use flannel for the heat/cool pads. Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:14 AM

I used beans in mine. Regular dried navy beans. They didn't smell very nice for about a year. Now there is no more smell.
If you use something rough, like corn, I would use a double layer of fabric, or one layer of regular fabric and one layer of fleece or something like that.
Mine is two layers of drapery fabric, but I'm thinking that a fleece cover would make the heat felt less at first. That thing gets really hot on my neck! Or make a "pillow case" cover that can be washed occasionally.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:18 AM

I've made dozens of rice bags. As for the smell, it only lasts for a couple of "heatings". The rice also provides "moist" heat since it has the tendency to absorb moisture as it sits for awhile. My hubby and I have used some of them for years before the cotton cover wore thru. I make them over-sized. Each bag has 4-5 sections and is 24" long. I pattern them after one I received as a gift years ago. That person got it at her chiropractor's office!
Old 12-02-2014, 09:18 AM

I use rice in mine; they seem softer.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by gjc2001 View Post
I'm new to the quilting board and I'm sure someone can help me out with this. I'm in the process of making heating pads/cooling pads as Christmas gifts for the elderly. By mistake I purchased a 50# bag of cracked corn and not feed corn. Could someone please tell me why I shouldn't use the cracked corn. Tried finding something out about it on the internet with no success. If I can't use it I'll give it to my daughter for her chickens and head for the feed store. Looking forward to your responses. Thank you.
I was always told to use cracked corn in mine as it will not pop like regular corn
Old 12-02-2014, 10:36 AM

I make these corn warmers for many friends and teachers. I use whole kernel corn because it is cleaner and will hold the heat longer. My daughter's roommates at college steal hers all of the time.
I make the interior bag out of muslin or duck (I have a ton of duck) and sew it shut. Then the outside bag is made with soft flannel and can be removed to wash.