Craig's list or the like

Old 07-13-2016, 01:45 AM
Power Poster

My husband won't let me buy anything off there or sell anything where someone comes out. We have bought off of ebay, but that is just through the mail.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:02 AM
Power Poster

I have sold fabric and bought fabric on eBay and I always use PayPal.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:53 AM

I agree with what many have already stated, I would not allow any one in my home especially if you do not know them. If you have garage or drive way. It is summer there should be many flea markets that you can set up a table for $10-$25 I know you won't be able to bring everything; but you can load the car/truck up and go for it. I do farmer's market in the summer where I sell my handmade crafts. Be Blessed.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:01 AM

I've sold on CL. If the item is small, I meet at a public place in broad daylight. I also sold my Grace Frame with Brother 1600 and the couple came to the house. I checked them out on our State's court access system, had my neighbor's standing by for check-in phone calls, and had my .380 auto in my pocket. When I have free stuff, I put in on my porch, post a picture and address, and it's usually gone within the hour. I've also bought on Ebay and Etsy and never had a problem.
You could check to see if you have any Ebay stores near you. Those are places where you take your stuff and they sell it on Ebay for you for a percentage. You could also just advertise at local quilt shops.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:48 AM

Lot's of scammers out there. They will contact you and say they are out of town but will send you a "certified check" and then his "mover" will pick up your machine once his check has cleared the bank. DO NOT DO IT!!!! Mover shows up before check will clear the bank...takes the machine and then the check bounces. They have tried this with sewing machines, power wheel chairs etc. Only sell to someone locally and cash only!!
Old 07-13-2016, 04:26 AM

I have sold and bought on CL many times, just adore them. We bought a treadle on CL and the guy had it in his garage. We sold some chairs (to some police) and they did come into our home. I have met people in parking lots at major shopping malls and done business as well as at a Steak n Shake. I would put the treadle in the garage to sell it. I always deal in cash and I think almost everyone does too. I have just sold two cars and one camper on CL and everything was in cash. When you post the pictures and description, just write down that cash is required.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:49 AM

I have sold and bought a lot of things on Craig's List with no problem. When the price is higher I ask for a PayPal payment which takes away all the problem with money, check, etc. not being good. PayPal takes all the responsibility when they accept the payment from the buyer and it is free to sign up. I have also gotten several offers for a date but you just don't respond to those kinds of responses. Don't let them contact you directly -- let the email go thru Craig's List and that way you can protect your email and contact info until you know they are serious.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Lot's of scammers out there. They will contact you and say they are out of town but will send you a "certified check" and then his "mover" will pick up your machine once his check has cleared the bank. DO NOT DO IT!!!! Mover shows up before check will clear the bank...takes the machine and then the check bounces. They have tried this with sewing machines, power wheel chairs etc. Only sell to someone locally and cash only!!
I replied to one of these once and told them that I was seldom home so would they please send the check to my office and that's where they could pick up the item. I told them I worked for the IRS (true) and funny thing is I never heard from any scammers again! Seriously, though, this happens a lot and I think they especially target first time CL sellers. Cash only, public place or out in the open with your neighbors or someone on watch and you should be fine.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:01 AM

I do cash only, and make sure my husband is home, with his CSI police van parked in front of our house!
Old 07-13-2016, 05:08 AM

I have sold and bought on CL and so far no issues. Small items I always meet in public places such as Starbuck's. For larger things, such as when I bought a cabinet and some shelves (different places) not only did I need a bigger vehicle, but "protection" so my brother, sil and niece joined me with the pickup. Worked out fine in every situation and I only gave cash...as that is what I only expect. When I sold a bedroom set and mattress, however, the lady came to my home by herself and my friend hadn't arrived yet. I did let her in and she tried out the mattress, looked things over and agreed to buy it. I should have taken the $$ then. But she called her son who didn't live too far away and they loaded it up in his truck, then she hands me the $$ and says...this is all I have and was short by about $30! It was NON-NEGOTIABLE and basically she ripped me off! I'm glad it was only by $30 but I'm sure she wouldn't have had it unloaded and returned to me. She knew exactly what she was doing. I was in such shock I couldn't open my mouth. Lesson learned!! Also, my friend never did show up and the lady plunked herself down in my rocking chair to wait for her son!!!! The NERVE! Again, I was shocked! So in my experience, it had not been TERRIBLE, but definitely have protection with you in the form of another person or two, maybe take a picture of the person while they are walking to your door or checking out the treadle, and be sure they do NOT WAIT IN YOUR HOUSE FOR HELP TO COME! That was so uncomfortable...I wish you well on your sale.