Creating a blog

Old 01-05-2010, 08:13 AM

If you have a blog , how did you create it. Can you tell me what to do and what not to do.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by beckyw
If you have a blog , how did you create it. Can you tell me what to do and what not to do.
well, i suppose it depends mostly on what you WANT from it!!!
Blogger (through Google) is easy to set up and maintain.
I got your message earlier, btw, and was thinking on it.

I use Wordpress, but I was happy with blogger too.
All are Free, unless you are looking to make it something much more advanced; then you may need to buy upgrades.

If you are using it as a way to mostly keep tabs on family, you can lock it, password protect, and have only those you know read.

Or if you just want the world at large to follow, you don't.
:P

Remember a few things. If its out there, its out there.
Own what you say. Remember your boss, your clergy, your family can read your rants if you don't have them set to private.
Think on that, be comfortable with the idea.

Also consider not NAMING people in full, especially children in photos, naming your job, your boss, your ...well, you get the idea, right??
If you type it, I can google it. If I google it and find you said something (bad) about your boss, or your sister, or if I am thinking of hiring you and I find that you believe (insert here) and I don't want someone who would say/think/ believe that, you may not get the job....

Over all, the biggest thing you need to do is think up a name, register and remember to write!

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I agree with Trish's comments regarding what you post publicly.

Just one more thought along those lines... think carefully before making your birthdate public, if it's one of the little bits of information that's used as security for any of your online accounts (credit card, banking, etc.)

I know, I know... we wish each other happy birthdays even on this forum!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 AM

Lots of priceless advice there! Well said! Back in the dark ages of the 60's when I was a teen, my very wise mother told me "if you don't want the world to know it, don't write it down" after a note I wrote about a friend got back to her and almost ruined our friendship. Mom's words are much more relevant in this day and age than ever before!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:56 AM

Decide early on what you want your blog to do. I have one for my quilting. I try real hard to keep it quilt related, but sometimes life sneaks in, like my video of the twin tornadoes last summer. I'm using Blogspot, but it's just because it was first on the search engine when I was looking to do this.

I'm always finding new things to do with it. Just this week I started adding pictures of the pantographs I have available. It's not done, but it's cool what you can do. I guess what I'm saying is that once you start, you can change and add things as you want or find them.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Power Poster

Here is a ton of sites to read about creating a blog

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=f&oq=&aqi=g10
Old 01-07-2010, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

I use Blogger, and it is so easy to sit up.
they will talk you through each steps. You can be up and running in no time. Also I have Picasa downloaded on my computer, and you can post pictures to your blog straight from there. Good luck, and go have fun!!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 AM

The freebie blog sites are easy to use. They offer a selection of looks and layout styles. Some of them offer you the option to use your own URL (www.myownname.com as opposed to something like myname.blogspot.com).

Some may offer search engine optimization service (usually for a fee), so if someone searches on a topic related to your blog, yours shows up on one of the first pages rather than back on page 1,023.

As others have said, it depends on what you want the blog to be for. If for personal, I'd go with a freebie blog. If for business, I'd recommend WordPress and go with their paid blog services.

There are various ways to publicize your blog. Twitter is one good one, and people often use Twitter as a kind of blog. For example, say your day's blog entry is about a new log cabing quilt. You'd tweet something like "Made new log cabin quilt. See it at..." and then post a link to your blog page.