Credit Card Rip-off

Old 09-21-2010, 03:55 PM

I think there is an epidemic of that going around. We had two credit cards compromised in the last two months. The first one, the CC company called us on a Sunday morning and said they suspected fraudulent activity on our card. Asked us about certain purchases that were made like two or three in the morning. We didn't make them. The CC company cancelled the card and sent us a new one. I check on line to see our activity almost every day to keep up with it. About five weeks after the first incident, there was a charge for $320 that we didn't make. I called the CC company and again, they cancelled the card and just yesterday, we received our new card. I hope this is the last one that we have to get.

Those people that hack into things obviously are very smart. If they would just use their intelligence to do something worthwhile we would all be better off.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

what about stores and companies asking for your S S number these days? I got upset at K ohl's and even sent the President an email on this. it's happening a lot and crooks are stealing identies left and right.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:11 PM

The good news is that it was an actual credit card, not a debit card. If it had been on your debit card, you have NO recourse, you're SOL. I will not have a debit card, period.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
The good news is that it was an actual credit card, not a debit card. If it had been on your debit card, you have NO recourse, you're SOL. I will not have a debit card, period.
Actually you do have recourse. Some years ago I paid for gas at a convenience store using my debit card inside the store. When I got my next bank statement there were two transactions at this store. One was the amount of my gas and the other was for $99. My signature was forged. I called my bank and they put my money back in for me and then dealt with the store themselves. There is insurance that banks carry on our money to help out. I think they can insure up to $500 but only for 30 days retroactive. So be sure and notify your bank immediately when this happens.

Oh and they caught the guy. He'd done this to lots of people that day!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Deecee
Originally Posted by littlehud
That is just horrible. I wonder how they got a hold of it.
In some cases they can steal your info from a transaction site or as my bank thinks in this case, they just go through random numbers until they hit on a combination that works.

The transactions were supposedly for airfares and accommodation. I hope I had a good holiday :!:
That should be traceable if cc want's to. both of those items need id for entry, unless have taken all info,items need to match at some point. Good Luck !!