Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cricut cutting mats

Cricut cutting mats

Does anyone have any ideas how we can recycle or reuse old Cricut cutting mats? Seems a shame to toss them out in the trash.

Blog Entries
    Quilting templates! Cut one up to make my sister some 'copies' of templates I have and they work perfectly.
    However, you may try to re-use them for your Cricut machine! I use painters tape and tape down all four sides of the paper or card stock to the mat. No problems with the paper shifting. I know there are several links to making them sticky again. Try Krylon Easy Tack.

Happily buried in a heap of fabric in Indiana!
    I've also heard if you clean them with baby wipes they will become tacky again. I've not tried it but have heard of it!
    Sew, sew, it's the threads that keep love together :>} I love sunbonnet sue,old-fashioned things like 1950's or older housewife things, and like hankies,tea towels and aprons . Thanks to some lovely members on here I now have lots of aprons in my collection !!

Wiping them off with baby wipes works wonderfully. Also, when wiping them off no longer works, I use painter's tape to tape over my edges (outside of cutting area) and use a repositionable glue stick to re-sticky the area. Repositionable spray also works but I appreciate the extra control the glue stick gives me. The actual mats can last a long time giving you more money to spend on fabric I have had a cricut for over 5 years and never had any problems with re-stickying my mats.

Thanks for the baby wipes suggestion! I will definitely give that a try. I love being able to reuse items rather than tossing them away.

cut and use for pocketbook bottoms

you can also wash the with soap and the scrubbers that are plastic and let them air dry works good

Basting spray adhesive also restores the stickiness. There are a number of tutorials out there on how to refresh it.