Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cross Stitch and Crochet Photos >

Cross Stitch and Crochet Photos

Cross Stitch and Crochet Photos

Old 05-14-2015, 02:50 PM

Thank you for the reply. I'll look into getting the book.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to this board.
You work is gorgeous. I use to do both but, gave them up to just make quilts.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:32 AM

Hi and welcome to the board. Very beautiful cross-stitch and crochet! What do you mean by petite cross-stitch? My first love is cross-stitch, and I love the 18 count aida cloth, is that what you mean? Just finished a wedding one for my youngest son and bride getting married in November, it came out sew cute. I do appreciate the back of your work, and I'm proud to show mine too, I keep it neat! Anyway, will post pics of it soon, gotta go take my mama for her walk.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

I use to do a lot of cross stitch but my eyesight is not as good as it once was.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:59 AM

Thank you to everyone for complimenting my work!

Latrinka, Please post photos of your wedding gift. I would love to see it.

Petite cross-stitch uses tiny, fine stitches. It shows more detail than traditional cross-stitch. I used Hardanger 22. Hardanger is a cotton fabric, and stitching on 22 Hardanger will make you go buggy-eyed... It is more difficult to see your squares. A magnifier helps. Stitching on it is like picking up a piece of cotton and cross-stitching in the weave. Most people cross-stitch on Aida 14. The number on both the Hardanger and the Aida refers to the number of stitches per inch, but you probably already know that. I have never entered a competition, but I have heard that one of the things that the judges look for is how well the stitches are buried on the back of your work. I am self-taught with almost everything that I do, and I learned to cross-stitch by reading. From the beginning, I tried to practice burying my thread. It is validating to know that you understand why I showed the back of my work. Sharon
Old 05-15-2015, 12:50 PM

Default wedding cross stitch

Here it is! Hasn't even been pressed yet, just finished it a couple days ago. I usually mist them with water, let them air dry on one of those clip hangers, then lightly press the back using a thin cloth to protect stitching. I frame them myself, this one will go into an 8x10 frame or larger with that size opening if I decide on a mat. It's done on 18 ct aida, light oatmeal is the color. I miss working on it already! Started back on hexis! I know what you mean about it being very relaxing, I'd be totally bonkers without my stitching! Wish I would have learned crochet or knitting, but never did, and have invested enough on quilting, cross-stitching, etc.! Tried to put a pic of the back also, but it wouldn't download.
Attached Thumbnails cross-stitch-001.jpg  
Old 05-15-2015, 01:17 PM

Latrinka,

I love your motto about woman's work. My thoughts exactly!
This is a beautiful pattern and what a great job you did! Do you sign and date your work? I think a mat would really showcase the design. I bet they'll treasure this. Very nice work! Thank you for posting it. Sharon
Old 05-15-2015, 04:07 PM

Hey again Sharon, thank you for the compliments. I'm thinking a larger frame with a mat also. About signing my work, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. My kids always want me to, so since this is for one of them, I will. Maybe even on the back of the frame, not sure yet. Not going to cross stitch it though.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:49 PM

You do beautiful work & welcome to our group. My passion is quilting, but have done lots of crocheting also in the past. Not so much anymore. Also done a lot of cross stitch when my kids were young. They are all grown now & have given us 15 G-kids & 4 Greats. Yes, they all have at least 2 quilts each.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful work...