Cross Stitching

Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 AM

Question Cross Stitching

Good Morning everyone! I hope all is doing well today. I have some cross stitch patterns that are completed and I want to frame them myself, but I cannot find a good website that shows you how to do it. If anyone has a link they would be willing to share I would so very much appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:11 AM

I just Googled "How to frame my cross stitch" and a lot of sites came up and many with videos.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:23 AM

I don't have a link. However, I'd like to share my limited experience. I brought a cross stitch to Joann's a years ago armed with their coupon for framing. Even with the coupon it seemed an outrageous price. I'm tempted to say a couple hundred dollars.

My step sister frames all of her own work. She told me what to use to mount it on. I'm not as crafty as she is and I don't have all the tools necessary to cut my own frames. So I decided to do what I could. I used a coupon to purchase some sort of hard sticky white board, stretched my art work out on it, then brought it back to be framed. The white sticky board did not cost very much at all.

Armed with a frame coupon, I brought my mounted cross stitch back and got a quote for under $100. I really still don't understand how my mounting my own work (something that cost ~$20 at most) could bring down the price so much. However, it's done and looks wonderful! Good luck!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 AM

When I've framed mine, I get a piece of foam board at the craft store. Cut to size to fit inner dimensions of frame. After cross stitch piece is cleaned/dry, position on top of foam board. Use T pins to hold in place. Flip board over and just take elmers glue and put a bead of glue along all 4 sides of board underneath the fabric. Let dry. Remove pins and pop in the frame. I have pieces that I have done this way still hanging with no issues. I have found that most needlework pieces are not normal frame sizes. There are frames that you can buy in pieces - usually 2 pieces/pkg that you can make up odd sizes. Meaning, instead of say an 8 x 10 frame, you could get a package of 9 inch frame pieces and then a package of 11 inch frame pieces for a 9 x 11 frame. Styles/colors of these are usually not too extensive but I've been satisfied with the selection. If you want glass over your work, go to a glass shop/hardware store and have a piece cut for your odd size frame. The foam board cuts easily with a box-cutter/utility knife.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
When I've framed mine, I get a piece of foam board at the craft store. Cut to size to fit inner dimensions of frame. After cross stitch piece is cleaned/dry, position on top of foam board. Use T pins to hold in place. Flip board over and just take elmers glue and put a bead of glue along all 4 sides of board underneath the fabric. Let dry. Remove pins and pop in the frame. I have pieces that I have done this way still hanging with no issues. I have found that most needlework pieces are not normal frame sizes. There are frames that you can buy in pieces - usually 2 pieces/pkg that you can make up odd sizes. Meaning, instead of say an 8 x 10 frame, you could get a package of 9 inch frame pieces and then a package of 11 inch frame pieces for a 9 x 11 frame. Styles/colors of these are usually not too extensive but I've been satisfied with the selection. If you want glass over your work, go to a glass shop/hardware store and have a piece cut for your odd size frame. The foam board cuts easily with a box-cutter/utility knife.
That's a great idea!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 AM

A couple of sites that have finishing techniques/links for many types of cross stitch and canvas work projects.

http://www.needlework-tips-and-techn...ss-stitch.html
Focus on Finishing http://focusonfinishing.wordpress.com/tutorial-links/
Twisted Stitcher http://tts-learntofinish.blogspot.co...floss-tag.html
Creative Poppy http://www.creativepoppypatterns.com...cts-pxl-8.html
Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 PM

I cheat and make wallhangings out of mine!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 AM

Go to youtube. You will be able to watch vidios on how to do it.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:48 PM

go to a frame shop and purchase chip board, it's sturdy. Pin the piece on the sides, leave it for a day for it to conform to the board tape the back, take the pins out and frame
Old 02-01-2013, 06:41 PM

I'm looking for stamped cross stitch birth announcements -- preferrably 11 x 14 or 8 x 11. All the local stores have counted cs but I don't like those. Anyone know of an on-line site with a nice selection to chose from?