Crushed pecan shells?

Old 10-09-2016, 05:12 PM

Default Crushed pecan shells?

If you make pin cushions to sell at crafts shows etc. and you use the crushed pecan shells do you post a sign stating "pecan shells" in case there are people with nut allergies? I don't know if the shells are processed a certain way or not?

Just wondering if it should be a concern?
Old 10-09-2016, 06:56 PM

Jazzmyn,
It is a really good idea to post a note stating that there are nut shells in the pin cushions. When I use them in pin cushions as gifts, I always let the person know. My husband uses nut shells for sand blasting metal parts and I think
they are just cleaned, then ground to certain sizes (fine,course, etc.). There are no additives in the bags of shells at the pet store for use in the lizard cages.
Brenda
Old 10-09-2016, 07:40 PM

Looking at this from an ethical point of view, I would assume most people would be clueless that a pin cushion would include a nut product. I would label anything that contains a known major allergen. This would include a sign on the table and a card to be given with each purchase stating a warning that it includes crushed pecan shells. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:46 AM

Thank You for your help, I agree that putting a sign on the table and a warning sign on the pin cushion or handing out a card would be the best way to go. I agree that it is better to be safe than sorry.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

my son said some nuts do not cause allergies. i am not sure but do put a sign just in case. peanuts are the really bad culprit.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:15 AM
mac

These days with people so ready to sue anyone for anything, it is wise to put what something is made out of. But, more importantly for those that are allergic should have an idea if something will cause them harm.

At bake sales or anytime I make something homemade to eat, I always give out the recipe, so that the receiver can see at a glance if something will cause them a problem. I am allergic to cilantro and I am always amazed how many things people make that have cilantro in the recipe, much to my chagrin.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:50 PM

I would. I have family members who are tree nut allergic.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
my son said some nuts do not cause allergies. i am not sure but do put a sign just in case. peanuts are the really bad culprit.
Any nut or food can cause an allery.

I'm allergic to ALL tree nuts now. I can eat all the peanuts, peanut butter, etc I want with no issues. Peanuts aren't actually a nut.

I used to love those big cashews & chocolate covered almonds at Christmas time. However several years ago I suddenly became allergic to tree nuts & almost ended up in the ER. I'm also allergic to eggs & sometimes poulty (meat, broth, etc) gives me issues. My brother is allergic to walnuts, watermelon & strawberries.

I would put a notice on the table & also label the pin cushion & state what type of nut shells it has inside.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:42 AM

Please do include a card or tag warning that nut shells are in the pincushion. I had a girl in class one year that almost died because she laid her arms and hands on a table where someone had made a peanut butter sandwich. This didn't happen at school, but we had to ban peanut butter from the entire school, including children's home packed lunches. Granted, her allergy was unusually extreme, but it is not worth the chance with your pincushions!
(I was amazed at the number of parents who were upset because their child could not bring a peanut butter sandwich to school. I know PB is a convenient lunch to pack, but at the risk of a child's life????!!!!!!)
Old 10-12-2016, 05:58 PM

FYI,I made a pin cushion with crushed walnut shells and it corroded my pins.