Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Dangerous plastic and hot cars

  1. #1
    Senior Member quiltmau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Milford, CT
    Posts
    507
    Bottled water in your car is very dangerous! On the Ellen show, Sheryl Crow said that this is what caused her breast cancer. It has been identified as the most common cause of the high levels of dioxin in breast cancer tissue. Sheryl Crow's oncologist told her: women should not drink bottled water that has been left in a car. The heat reacts with the chemicals in the plastic of the bottle which releases dioxin into the water. Dioxin is a toxin increasingly found in breast cancer tissue. So please be careful and do not drink bottled water that has been left in a car. Pass this on to all the women in your life. This information is the kind we need to know that just might save us! Use a stainless steel canteen or a glass bottle instead of plastic!
    LET EVERYONE WHO HAS A WIFE / GIRLFRIEND / DAUGHTER KNOW PLEASE! This information is also being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center . No plastic containers in microwaves. No plastic water bottles in freezers. No plastic wrap in microwaves. Dioxin chemical causes cancer, especially breast cancer. Dioxins are highly poisonous to cells in our bodies. Don't freeze plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic. Recently the Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital , was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us. He said that we should not be heating food in the microwave using plastic containers.... This especially applies to foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat, high heat and plastic releases dioxin into the food. Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same result, but without the dioxin. So, such things as TV dinners, instant soups, etc., should be removed from their containers and heated in something else. Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper. It's safer to use tempered glass, such as Pyrex, etc. He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the styrene foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons... Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Cling film, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food. Cover food with a paper towel instead. This is an article that should be sent to anyone important in your life!

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Here not there
    Posts
    1,448
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks I will toss my water that is in my car.

  3. #3
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    34,034
    Blog Entries
    18

  4. #4
    Senior Member quiltmau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Milford, CT
    Posts
    507
    I'd rather be safe than sorry-once cocaine was considered 'safe'-who know what will deemed safe today and no so safe tomorrow?

  5. #5
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    1,ooo miles from home
    Posts
    13,339
    Blog Entries
    2
    thanks. i have an insulated metal cup but try hard to take it into the house and not leave in the car in the garage.
    my throat spasms shut and i like to have water on hand while driving, just in case.

  6. #6
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,283
    I have a BIL who won't eat or drink anything out of plastic. He even found a bottle water that comes in glass.

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,179
    You also hear lots of reports about cell phones not causing cancer. Well, I have a cousin that is proof that this is not true.

    I think the lesson is always to do everything in moderation and use common sense.

    I find it interesting that they say plastics don't cause cancer and yet when I was a kid and we only had glass I knew of nobody with cancer. Now it surrounds me. Guess we have to make the best choices we can and cross our fingers!

  8. #8
    Super Member Quiltbeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,180
    According to Snopes this doesn't appear factual. Anyway, water gets shipped cross country in non-temperature controlled trucks so chances are it was made hot or cold (or both) way before you bought it in your neighborhood store.

  9. #9
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,782
    The other thing we don't often think about in relation to reports such as these is the fundamental question regarding how much of the offending substance is necessary to actually pose a significant threat.
    There was some research done quite a few years ago that I read about in a reliable venue that had tested potatoes (the kind we eat every day) and found them toxic to the lab subjects. If you read farther into the article you discovered that the quantities consumed were equivalent to a human eating something like 5 pounds a meal, 3 meals a day for x # of weeks!
    You'd have a bunch of other problems long before whatever alleged toxicity had a chance to develop.

  10. #10
    Super Member Nanamoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,175
    Blog Entries
    1
    Not sure about this article, but my allergist has told me not to use plastic of any kind because it outgases and does affect the immune system. I don't drink out of plastic bottles not store food in plastic containers. My allergist is a wellness doctor and was the one to diagnose my Fibro and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome well before it was a recognized diagnosis. He also advised me to remove all plastic items from my home that were feasible to remove. Many products other than plastic also outgas and can cause issues with your immune system. All lot of modern items outgas and that's why many more people are being diagnosed with environmental illnesses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.