Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dates

I would like to know why Americans use the month first before the day when they post dates ie: 1-23-2010 for 23rd January 2010. Days come before months which come before the year so in my reasoning it should be 23-1-2010. Can any one explain your system to me and why it is used?

Sheena

Probably because when talking we say January 23rd, 2010 rather than the 23rd of January. Or maybe because it's just the way we do things, I don't really know. Since my birthday is 9-9-___ it took me a long time to figure out which was which.

When I googled it I found that neither way is correct by the internationally accepted standard which is Year-Month-Day.

In the US we say the month first then the day then the year thus 1-23-2011. Don't know why it's been that way ever since I can remember.

As a military wife - all things military are written day/month/year....civilians write month/day/year - I have no clue why!

Looked it up....
    From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_date)

Format: 16 November 2003 or 16/11/2003
    Common to the vast majority of the world's countries. This date format originates from the custom of writing the date as 'the 16th day of November in the year of our Lord 2003' in religious and legal documents, which at one time were the majority of documents created.

Format: 2003 November 16
    This form is standard in Asian countries, Hungary, Sweden and the US armed forces.

Format: November 16, 2003 or 11/16/2003
    This sequence is used primarily in the United States, Canada, and a few other countries.

The site gives a more detailed description for the differences. Interesting stuff. Who knew?!

because we say today is january 4th, 2011...so we write it 1-4-11.

I'll bet it goes back to the Revoluntionary War.... Some one decided to do it exactly opposite of England...

Thanks now I do not have to look it up. But will my feeble mind remember, 2011; 2011; 2011. Happy Quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shari1967
    As a military wife - all things military are written day/month/year...
    oops - meant to say year/month/day LOL I had it backwards. I'm not awake yet!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vjengels
    I'll bet it goes back to the Revoluntionary War.... Some one decided to do it exactly opposite of England...
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast