Daughter Moved Out

Old 10-01-2010, 01:29 PM

Your job as your daughter's mother was to educate her and equip her for life so that she could stand on her own two feet and live independently. It sounds as if you have done a great job and she is able to make decisions and live on her own. Although I'm sure that you will really miss her, you should be proud that you have successfully raised your child and your chick can fly by herself. Good luck to all of you in this next chapter of life!
Old 10-01-2010, 01:54 PM

It is very difficult when our children leave home, especially if we aren't overly happy with their choices. We have to let go, wish them the best, offer them our love and support, and move on. Maybe you can make a nice sewing room in her room, if you don't have one already.
I cried each time one of my boys took a big step out the door lol.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:23 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind words....I'm sitting here crying just reading all of your responses. I should be happy that she didn't move to far away and right now they will be coming home every weekend to do their laundry until they can afford to get a washer/dryer. Now, I should also set up a night that they can come over for dinner too. She makes mac n chz and he can make grilled chz sandwiches....LOL Can't live on that alone.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

It's so hard to see them go. You are doing it just right. Keep an ear open and your mouth shut. I wish her the best. Maybe her room can be your new sewing room.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:49 PM

The idea of making her old room into a sewing room sounds good to me ... then make the new couple a quilt! :thumbup:
Wishing them and you all the best. :lol:
You're right, they can't live on cheese ... lol ... guess you'll be giving cooking lessons too!
Old 10-01-2010, 03:11 PM

My daughter started moving today and by tomorrow she will be completely gone. She is taking a room with 3 other room mates in Queens (we live in The Bronx). She has been with us for the last 4 weeks after being at grandma's for a year. I am going to hate to see her go but at the same time I am very excited to see her move on and growing up. I see a sewing room in your future.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:22 PM

What a great idea...sewing room and make them a quilt as a first project. Maybe use some of the fabrics in her room...the curtains.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

I must be unusual, I always looked forward to them (3) moving out. 2 did need to come back when falling on hard times but, moved back out within a few months. Young kids and adult kids are not the same. Been without any kids for 21 yrs. and that makkes me very happy.
Oldest DGD (23) has lived with us for 5 yrs. and is not the same as she lives her own life and very independent and responsible. We really only provide a room, she does all her own stuff.
I would have felt a loser as a parent if they didn't grow up and take care of their ownselves, not normal for a kid to stay home.
Good luck.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:42 PM

Sending you hugs.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:12 PM

I am odd women out too. I was happy when the kids moved out. No empty nest syndrome here. DD went to college, lived on her own for several years, when we moved across the states, she came with us and has lived with us since. She is 34. She cannot afford to live on her own, so we are stuck. Even tho we get along great, enjoy each other and doing things together, I would love for her to move out on her own again.
I wish you well. You prepared her for this and she will do fine. Be supportive in their marriage and encouraging.