Dear Abby today

Old 11-22-2010, 09:17 AM

This is sad. That was a very mean and spiteful thing for the wife to do. I hope it isn't indicitive of how she treats him otherwise but, someone who would deliberately hurt another person isn't to be trusted (I know this from experience).

Dear Abby: My wife “Julie” and I have been married a year. On our first date she asked me if I liked dogs. I told her no because I’m allergic to them. However, because we were compatible in so many other ways, I worked past this difference and tolerated “Fido.” I walked him at times and began taking allergy medication when we started living together. I did it out of love and respect for my wife.

Julie returned the respect in kind. My late grandmother had given me a blanket decorated with characters from a favorite TV show when I was a child. Although it clashed with our furniture, Julie draped it over the couch in our den because she knew it was meaningful to me.

I was away on a business trip when Fido died. I sent flowers and called my wife, expressing my condolences.

When I returned a few days later I noticed my blanket was missing. When I asked where it was, Julie tore into me saying I had never liked Fido and she had buried him with my blanket! I was furious and let her know with a few choice words.

It has been a week and the mood here is strained. I’m still angry about what she did. Do I have the right to be upset?

Stressed and Steamed

Dear Steamed: Anger is a part of grief, but what your wife did was wrong.

She took something that didn’t belong to her and that was precious to you and destroyed it. She did it because she wanted you to feel the same kind of loss that she was suffering. It was immature, unkind and hostile. You are certainly entitled to your feelings. She owes you a sincere apology.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:20 AM

Amen. There is no excuse at all for this behavior. Intentionally harming someone is never right. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:28 AM

I say make her dig it up!!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 AM

That was so cruel of the wife. You know she could have buried the dog in something that the husband wore. Like a shirt or something. But something that could never be replaced. Not a nice wife at all. I suppose you would be better to not team up with someone who doesn't have the same likes and dislikes? You think? My daughter loved Christmas, the ocean and traveling. Guess what she married a man, that didn't believe in anyone getting gifts at Christmas, Not because of religion, just didn't want to spend the money. Hated the ocean, sand, wind and surf and you guessed it. Would not travel at all. I don't know, maybe after 50 yrs of marriage, my husband just gave up...LOL we like to do pretty much the same, if we don't we just do our own thing, like quilting, and do the things we like to do together....
Old 11-22-2010, 09:44 AM

Woo. He needs to run the other way.

Thank goodness he wasn't home when the pet passed...she may have accused him off offing the little guy!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:04 AM

That's wrong, It's being taken out on him why?? I'd consider digging back up to retreave then put away at a safe location.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:08 AM

A shovel comes to mind. "Here honey, start digging".
Old 11-22-2010, 10:19 AM

I read that -- he needs to re-evaluate that relationship!!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 AM
bj

That is so spiteful. I'm usually in the "2 sides to every story" camp, but I don't think this one could have a side that would justify her behavior. How sad for him!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:02 AM

And they are married??? Geeez what a wretched, spiteful wife she is. He appears to have really worked with her on having "fido" around even though he had allergies to the dog. I don't forsee a lasting "union" here.