Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dear friend scammed by computer >

Dear friend scammed by computer

Dear friend scammed by computer

Old 06-03-2016, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
In spite of being 82 yr, I thought she was savvy. Said she was playing game on line, horrible loud noise from computer and message came up saying "for technical help-call,,,,." She DID! Foreigner sold her security pkg (yeah, sure) for $199. plus $99. tax. Said he would D/L to her computer. She pd w/credit card! I am so worried for her...all her dead husband's financial info on the computer--passwords to banks, etc. She says the noise panicked her and she could see red flags, but was so upset and frightened that she got suckered in.
When will people realize there is a cord on the back of their computer--just yank it from the wall! Go to a 'real' tech next day.
Her daughter learned of this next morning and canceled the card. But I fear that will not be the end of it.
Now what would have been your first clue that this was a scam?
A friend of mine, much younger, did the same thing years ago. Her price was about $250. Nothing wrong with her thinking, but even when we explained it to her she didn't seem to believe she got taken. Denial, I think. Nothing happened with her credit card, though, just the computer "fix" scam.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I would have shut down the computer by even pulling the plug and not use it until my best friend could come down and fix it. I want to know how they created a noise on her computer?? We just aren't safe any more, not even in our own home.
It's software that hacks into the game she was playing. I sometimes get little little pop ups while online that say I have problems but I know what they are so ignore them.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
I'm not 83 and got totally scared while on this site. All of a sudden, loud sound and an urgent message taking up my whole screen saying a virus attacked my computer and it was getting all my private information - saying it was a 'windows alert' giving an 800 phone number to call (very convincing). I tried 'X'ing out of everything and could not get out of it - it would not go away. I got scared too, finally gave in to turning off my computer by the on/off button and unplugging it. I didn't touch it until the next day. Everything was fine. Wish the would leave us little guys alone!!!
Whenever something "pops up " on your PC, do NOT try to close by clicking the "X"!! Just shut down your whole PC, or if you are a bit more level-headed and can remember (I usually can't!) go to Task Manager and close it from there.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I've done this a few times. I just shut it down for a few minutes and go do something else. I called my tech support and they supposedly straightened it out.
Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
I'm not 83 and got totally scared while on this site. All of a sudden, loud sound and an urgent message taking up my whole screen saying a virus attacked my computer and it was getting all my private information - saying it was a 'windows alert' giving an 800 phone number to call (very convincing). I tried 'X'ing out of everything and could not get out of it - it would not go away. I got scared too, finally gave in to turning off my computer by the on/off button and unplugging it. I didn't touch it until the next day. Everything was fine. Wish the would leave us little guys alone!!!
Old 06-05-2016, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

This happened to a friend of mine also. She hung up before they could get her credit card number. This happens a lot from what I have heard. BEWARE....
Old 06-05-2016, 06:49 AM

I saw a video where someone hacked into a baby monitor and was yelling for the baby to wake up.