Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Decided to start on bamboo flooring >

Decided to start on bamboo flooring

Decided to start on bamboo flooring

Old 07-29-2010, 01:40 PM

Just seems to me that the expense of replacing and cleaning carpets over time is more expensive than a hard flooring. Plus you can just change area rugs to change a room.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:03 PM

Pam I can't wait to see finished pictures!
I'm sure it will look great! And your chair will move a lot easier ;) My PIL's had bamboo flooring in their bedroom at their old house and it was BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:50 PM

My son recently installed bamboo flooring in the nursery for my DGS. The one problem that he discovered is that it dents (deep dents) very easily so be careful moving heavy objects across of it. It is beautiful flooring, so warm and welcoming.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:07 PM

When DH and I bought our house in 2002, it never had carpet in it since built in 1940. Only 1 owner before us, and she LOVED her hardwoods. I wouldn't trade them for the world!! Swiffer dust mop is a lot lighter than a vacuum!!! We even put hardwood in the kitchen, right over the old linoleum. I just put wood finish on it to keep it shiny & bright!! Love it!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:10 PM

Do you think you will like the bamboo better than the Pergo that you had before? Good luck
Old 07-29-2010, 05:14 PM

I'm looking at choices in bamboo and the hardness. I liked the Pergo that I did and it is a very hard surface. It's pretty easy to lay once you get the hang of it and I put it over vinyl in the kitchen and family room in my previous house.

I have read that the really dark colors show every scratch so I will go with a medium tone.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:18 PM

That is my dream too - to put hardwood in and have no carpets. Look forward to seeing pictures of your finished floor! :thumbup: I'd come help you if I lived closer - just to learn how to do it!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:40 PM

My husband and I were at Home Depot one day, and he said, "Do you like tile floors?" Sure, of course,I reply! Then he says, "How about this one?" (Terra Cotta) Sure, I say...Its cool!
Jump ahead 24 hours...I come home from work, walk in to bare naked floors and a pallet of TILE on my back porch!!! I almost had a heart attack!!! I'm a planner, he's a DOER. Yikes!
The terra cotta tile is lovely, easy to maintain, and our allergies dropped to almost zero after the carpet went away.
I'm all for tile and/or hardwood style floors, but I have learned to ask many more questions when we go to Home Depot!
Rosanne Barr said that if a woman goes window shopping, thats exactly what she does, but if a man goes window shopping, he comes home with a WINDOW!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by DianD
My husband and I were at Home Depot one day, and he said, "Do you like tile floors?" Sure, of course,I reply! Then he says, "How about this one?" (Terra Cotta) Sure, I say...Its cool!
Jump ahead 24 hours...I come home from work, walk in to bare naked floors and a pallet of TILE on my back porch!!! I almost had a heart attack!!! I'm a planner, he's a DOER. Yikes!
The terra cotta tile is lovely, easy to maintain, and our allergies dropped to almost zero after the carpet went away.
I'm all for tile and/or hardwood style floors, but I have learned to ask many more questions when we go to Home Depot!
Rosanne Barr said that if a woman goes window shopping, thats exactly what she does, but if a man goes window shopping, he comes home with a WINDOW!
So true! This has happen to me also.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:32 PM

I just finished up the vinyl laminate tile all by myself in my house!!!We live in an older mobile home and things dont last long in them. I have total remodel of house in the works, floor boards have been replaced with new plywood, new vinyl laminate tile. New paint.My next project is to teaor out the cabinets in my kitchen and relocate the sink over to in front of the window. We are getting new cabinets. In the bathroom, I am tearing out the built in cabinet and sink and have a beautiful white pedestal sink to put in! Gonna be awesome when done!!

I love how much better the hard floors are than carpet for sure. MY puppies havent gotten used to sliding everywhere yet but they will!

Tracy