Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
deja vu all over again, Hope Chests >

deja vu all over again, Hope Chests

deja vu all over again, Hope Chests

Old 05-26-2016, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
Gerrib, i'd take those pretties off your hands for you. I use all my 'stuff'. I don't want it going to waste. I started ahope chest when i was about 15 or so. My mom told me to start buying stuff now, 'coz she wasn't. So i bought what i though i'd need. I now have a drawer full of towels and I use them and change the design every month. If I can't enjoy them and use them, who will.
I totally agree, Lynnie. My grandmother died when I was about 10. This was my grandmother who did hand quilting and beautiful embroidery. My Dad brought back a quilt that had never been used (it still the pencil markings on it) and several sets of hand embroidered sheets with crocheted edgings. He gave them to my mom and told her to use them. He said his mother was using the awfullest bedding on her bed but had all this beautiful stuff sitting in the closet. I've done that ever since. I have nice things and use them and enjoy them.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
I graduated in the 60s. I remember hope chests. They were one of the "sales" items, like class rings, etc when you were graduating from HS. Some of Home EC was geared towards items for the chest. Now days, I think the girls are just hoping to meet a guy that has a job and doesn't live at home!
Yes!!! Me too! Ours were Lane Chests. You even got a miniature one. I have my Mother's cedar chest. I use the things stored in it regularly. Still love that smell.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:46 PM

Thanks for sharing
Old 05-27-2016, 03:42 AM

You should use your china. When you store it, it actually dries out and becomes bridle.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:51 AM

I still have my hope chest, but ruined my baby quilt by putting it in my Cedar chest. The wood ate the fabric at the folds where it touched. I still have pillow cases, hand embroidered dresser scarfs & crocheted doilies I made when I was a teen. They are now Vintage items like me.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:21 AM

My Grandma's crochet-edged pillow cases are some of my most prized possessions! I made one into a sewing machine cover that I see everyday. I would spend a week with my grandparents, my Dad's parents, every summer and she and I would spend the time making me a dress. Of 6 granddaughters, I'm the only one who sews. My Mom sewed, too, and between the two of them, I have my lifelong passion.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:28 AM

Ah yes, I had a hope chest, filled it with Tupperware, towels, many glorious things.
Still have my mini Lane Cedar chest from graduation.
I was younger than 10 when my mother taught me to hand embroider on Tea towels, I actually enjoyed that activity as a thru and thru tomboy.
Misspriss, Thanks for the tip, I have gorgeous China from 1979 that has spent it's life being stored!!!
Old 05-27-2016, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
Ah yes, I had a hope chest, filled it with Tupperware, towels, many glorious things.
Still have my mini Lane Cedar chest from graduation.
I was younger than 10 when my mother taught me to hand embroider on Tea towels, I actually enjoyed that activity as a thru and thru tomboy.
Misspriss, Thanks for the tip, I have gorgeous China from 1979 that has spent it's life being stored!!!
Miniature lane chests--Do they still give those away? I have mine, too.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:42 AM

Hope chests are now called "gift registries".
Old 05-27-2016, 12:51 PM

that little Lane chest/box was the first thing I thought of when I saw those pillowcases
Lane is still in business according to google.
"Between 1912 and 1987, Lane and Virginia Maid manufactured and sold an estimated 12 million cedar chests"
but those of you that still have them (the big ones) please read this warning

The one I finally had was my mothers, purchased in the late 30's for her by her brother.