Dental tools...

Old 11-26-2010, 07:32 AM

I once was at a vendor booth at Paducah where they were selling the metal tools used for cleaning teeth. Recently, I asked my dentist if he ever had any discards. Turns out they can only be sharpened for dental use a few times. He gave me a handful and they are plenty sharp for sewing/craft use! (I even have to dull the one I use as a stylus with a whetstone.)

Next time you have your teeth cleaned, consider asking for some. They are great for picking out threads and handy around the house for miscellaneous needs. (Just be sure to store them safely.)
Old 11-26-2010, 07:48 AM

Great idea. With what dental work cost is would nice to get gift from the dentist.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Great tip!! Thank you :D:D:D
Old 11-26-2010, 09:47 AM

I have some old hemostats that are great for pulling needles thru seam allowances, reaching things in tight places, pulling cords thru sewn tubes. Also have old suture cutting scissors that have a little hook on one blade that are great for snipping threads. I also buy exam table paper (thicker that tissue paper) for tracing patterns and for paper piecing.
If you can't get used ones, try a Medical Supply store--they're not that expensive surprisingly.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Goldie
I once was at a vendor booth at Paducah where they were selling the metal tools used for cleaning teeth. Recently, I asked my dentist if he ever had any discards. Turns out they can only be sharpened for dental use a few times. He gave me a handful and they are plenty sharp for sewing/craft use! (I even have to dull the one I use as a stylus with a whetstone.)

Next time you have your teeth cleaned, consider asking for some. They are great for picking out threads and handy around the house for miscellaneous needs. (Just be sure to store them safely.)
i also got a red plastic they use when making forms used it to set doll eyes liked it better than the sticky brace coverup if you have something sticking you
Old 11-26-2010, 02:09 PM

the tip on the exam table paper is something I never would have thought!! Love it!! I will have to find a medical supply place somewhere and look into it. At this time,I only use freezer paper.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:14 PM

I used to be a dental assistant. Nowadays they may not be able to give you the tools. The HEPA rules are quite stringent now. Also the one dentist used to send his tools out to be resharpened; they are so expensive.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
I have some old hemostats that are great for pulling needles thru seam allowances, reaching things in tight places, pulling cords thru sewn tubes. Also have old suture cutting scissors that have a little hook on one blade that are great for snipping threads. I also buy exam table paper (thicker that tissue paper) for tracing patterns and for paper piecing.
If you can't get used ones, try a Medical Supply store--they're not that expensive surprisingly.
i got the dental tools at a place called Zefferhils swap meet car show and car auction and my DML was a nurse so she had some wnen she passed i got them and love them all kind of uses
Old 11-26-2010, 05:21 PM
BMP

Originally Posted by grann of 6

I used to be a dental assistant. Nowadays they may not be able to give you the tools. The HEPA rules are quite stringent now. Also the one dentist used to send his tools out to be resharpened; they are so expensive.
I worked in Oral Surgery up until 2 years ago, HEPA only applies to patient information privacy, it has nothing to to with medical/ dental tools.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by BMP
Originally Posted by grann of 6

I worked in Oral Surgery up until 2 years ago, HEPA only applies to patient information privacy, it has nothing to to with medical/ dental tools.
Yes, I'm sorry. I meant OSHA. I was the OSHA person in our office; but this was 15 years ago. I know times have changed a lot since then.