Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did I do good?? Pfaff (grand/Mega quilter) >

Did I do good?? Pfaff (grand/Mega quilter)

Did I do good?? Pfaff (grand/Mega quilter)

Old 04-30-2011, 05:00 PM

So I have been working with my sewing and vacuum for over a month now to get a long arm machine. I was told they might have one for around $900 and well I was really excited. so today I was asked to come in and check it out. It was really nice however it was not $900 anymore but a lot more. So I explained to him that due to the fact that I am buying it for a non profit use that I really could not afford the extra money. So he started to ask some good probing questions and I told him that really I just want a machine to use on the long arm and I was going to use my Juki. He told me about a Pfaff (grandquilter or Mega quilter it's getting late I don't remember which one it looks like my juki but a bit bigger) that he had that was in Perfect condition that he could sell for $500 I took one look and said SOLD! Now I will be honest I have seen some things about the machine but I have no idea if this is a good price (to me it is) but for the machine what do you think? I pick it up on Wednesday I am going to have them teach me how to use it and all. He is going to find some "extras" for it also. So I need some honest advice did I do good and if you have this machine how do you like it???
Old 04-30-2011, 05:16 PM

I have no idea if this is a good price but why did you not like to use your Juki? I have been thinking about a new machine just for the quilting part of my hobby & Juki was the one I had in mind because it has a longer throat & higher throat space. Just curious. Would love to see a picture of your new machine too!
Old 04-30-2011, 05:22 PM

Oh I love the juki but because of my back injury I cannot keep moving the machine off and on my frame. I highly recommend the Juki I have had her for 2 years now and would NEVER trade her in!! :)
Old 04-30-2011, 06:38 PM

My dream machine the Pfaff Grand Quilter! Is it new or used? whichever you did very good. It is an amazing price for that machine.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:39 PM

It is gently used :)
Old 04-30-2011, 08:06 PM

Which Juki do you have and if it's the TL98, why would you need another very similar machine? To me it sounds like you are buying another machine very similar to one you all ready own so unless you are physically unable to move it from frame to table why would you shell out $500?

It also sounds like the other, more expensive machine may have been a lot closer to a "longarm" than the $500 one you are about to purchase. Viking has 2 machines they call "Mega Quilters". One is very similar to a Juki TL98/TL2000 and new, retail price is usually between $750 & $900--maybe more if they package it with some extra goodies. The other Mega Quilter is the 18.8 or 18 x 8 which is a Tin Lizzie 18" industrial looking beastie made for Viking and now Janome. It may be sold under other "brands" as well.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

The GQ (good price!) is a mechanical machine that is a bit testy until the tension is set correctly. (I find that mine likes the thread through 2 of the tension holes) It also loves oil - lots of oil, regularly and in all the right places.

You may want to get one of the bobbin placement guide thingies - a little hard to reach and engage.

Happy quilting.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:44 PM

When your running a nonprofit shelling out 3000+$$ is not an option my frame also does not accept a la over 14" since I have a back injury lifting machines is also not an option so for me to "shell " out 500$ for a machine is worth it since I can have one to piece and the other to quilt.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:53 AM

Great Deal!!! I paid much more for mine.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
When your running a nonprofit shelling out 3000+$$ is not an option my frame also does not accept a la over 14" since I have a back injury lifting machines is also not an option so for me to "shell " out 500$ for a machine is worth it since I can have one to piece and the other to quilt.
Now I understand. You do need 2 similar machines because you don't want to/can't move it back & forth. For the benefits you get by purchasing it from a dealer; I think you got an excellent price.