Dive Bombing Birds

Old 05-15-2017, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

Default Dive Bombing Birds

For about the past week a red grosbeak and his mate have been hanging out in a tree behind our house. We live in the woods and our dining room, which is now my sewing room, has a big picture window that looks out into the woods. This red grosbeak has been continually flying into that window... at all hours of the day. WHY? What is this behavior?

Anyone else have a crazy divebombing bird hitting their house? The poor little mate just sits in the tree, waiting for the red bird to finish bombing the window.

This bird is driving us nuts.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:47 AM

Is it possible he is seeing his reflection in the window & thinking it's another male after his mate?
Old 05-15-2017, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

sewing room on 2nd floor, hummingbird feeder down below, occasionally a hummer will come and peer in window to check on me--lol---love it. I think what you are experiencing a reflective issue like osewme said. Maybe hang some dark fabric, etc to see if it stops.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:32 PM

We, also, have Grosbeak but no dive bombers. We do, however, have Cardinals that would dive bomb into a mirror we had leaning against the garage. (for those of you who read it added a great feature to your landscaping I'm here to tell you....forget it!) My son learned to duplicate their call and he would call and they would immediately answer, over and over, day after day. Well, be that as it may, he and I often wondered what the cardinal thought he was saying!! We got rid of the mirror and my son stopped whistling, one of which or both, seemed to irritate him no end because from that time forward, every morning, he would go out to his car to find that cardinal had left his 'daily dump' down the side of his car door!

Last edited by Wonnie; 05-15-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

he,he, he. so cute.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:39 PM

you can hang or tape a CD to the inside of the window and see if that stops the bird from flying into the window. We put a CD on a garage window that the birds were always flying into and it stopped them. Maybe that will work for you to hope so.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:51 PM

Tape a towel up to the outside to stop the reflections. After a few days you can take it down. We've had them hurt themselves by breaking their necks.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

I have tissue paper up right now in my living room window so the male Cardinal doesn't tap all day. They see their reflection and think it is a rival for their ladies affection.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Thanks all... that makes sense. I don't understand why they want to hang around the house, when they have the whole forest to live in.

We have a nest of baby birds (not grosbeak) in the garage too.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:29 AM

I had a robin doing the dive bombing on the north side of the house. I thought he was trying to copulate with his image. The window was all smeared up. By my continually banging on the window, he stopped doing that on the north side, then he went to the south side. After a while he got over it.