Do you cook or zap?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:41 PM

I've been an empty nester for 17 years now and I've pretty much given up cooking. I'll zap things in the microwave or order take out but I just don't cook anymore. I know it's healthier to cook my own food etc. But it's difficult to cook for one. And I hate leftovers.
With everyone so busy these days and with so many convenience foods available, I was wondering how many of you still really cook?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Power Poster

I am almost an empty nester also , my older son still lives at home but he works midnights and goes to school full time, so we don't see each other very much :? So I grab whatever , whenever :oops: I might cook once or twice a week . I wish food came packaged for one as I don't like leftovers so much either
Old 04-14-2010, 10:53 PM

I cook from scratch. I zap popcorn and steam veggies in the microwave.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Power Poster

I cook and then freeze enough for 3-4 meals in individual servings... usually the meat and a sauce or gravy. Then I can zap a potato and veggies to go with it. I even cook noodles in the microwave LOL I will make soups and stews in the crock pot and freeze the left overs too. I don't like to cook for just myself, so I figure it is either make a bunch and freeze extra or live off of sandwiches LMBO

I bought a George Foreman grill and use it a lot, it cooks fast. By the time the meat is done, so are my potatoes and veggies.

If I make a soup, I will add different herbs to each freezer container to change it up a little. I do the same thing when I heat up the soup that I don't freeze, so that I can have it 3 days in a row, but each meal tastes different.

I will make enough rice for a couple of meals, the same with noodles. I just thaw two different containers and mix up the second one with the rice or noodles for the next day.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Power Poster

I also have some small glass casserole dishes. I will cut up a potato, add some frozen veggies, left over meat, pour a table spoon of olive oil over it, toss in some herbs/seasonings and microwave it.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:57 PM

I do both. When I cook, I make enough for my hubby and I to eat 3-4 meals. We eat a lot of leftovers that way which gets boring, but it make it so I don't have to cook daily and we don't resort to fast food or grocery convenience meals, which are always more expensive.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:25 AM

We have been empty nesters for a couple of years now, and I still cook dinner every night. Took a long time to down size on the amount to fix, but I have finally figured it out. If there are leftovers, they work great for DH's lunches. Just don't like cooking for one. Now, what to cook tonite?????
Old 04-15-2010, 02:29 AM

i cook everyday during the week...and i don't cook on the weekends...he is on his own!
i do love to use my crockpot i think it is a quilters notion!
we love leftovers here..
Old 04-15-2010, 03:27 AM
Pam

I LOVE to cook! I make about 3 big meals a week and we live off from leftovers. Hubby likes to cook, too, but he is messy. You may have seen pic of my dirty kitchen he left for me.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:32 AM

I cook one big meal almost every day. I like to cook and my husband likes to eat, so it makes us both happy. He is a fun man to feed because he will try anything and always appreciates a good meal.

I'm not sure I'd cook nearly as often just for myself. Cooking for yourself doesn't sound like nearly as much fun.