Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you have high cholesteral? >

Do you have high cholesteral?

Do you have high cholesteral?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:35 PM

I just got tests results from my doctor. She said my cholesteral level is 273;and it should be under 200. She wants me to see the dietitian at the clinic , but that isn't covered under my insurance. Do any of you have recipes or foods that you use to help lower your level? I talked to my chiropractor about some natural supplements to lower the cholesteral and high blood pressure.
Thank you for any help you can give me. Elaine
Old 01-25-2010, 09:44 PM

Oatmeal, Cherrios lower your levels. The whites of an egg are cholesteral free, I cook with that cooking spray, and use olive oil sparingly, to limit my fat intake. They say olive oil helps lower the bad number. If you smoke, then you should quit. Smoking raises your numbers to. I don't know how that is, but it seemed to be the case for me.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Power Poster

Check labels, a package of Top Ramen has insane amounts of fat...most processed food does...
I use canned beef and chicken broth for gravy and sauces instead of drippings.
Trim the fat off of your meats, eat more skinless chicken breasts and tuna (it lowers your cholestrol) limit it to twice a week though if it isn't farm raised.
The loin cuts of pork are usually leaner.
Switch from fresh eggs to brands like egg beaters that are cholestrol free, don't forget to use it for baking too.
Condiments/Dressings/Mayonaise...check labels
Check all labels for total fat content...they try to get tricky by listing them separately.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:24 PM

ok with cholesterol that level doesnt your insurance offer some kind of dietician help planning? surely they do??? If one looks at what is ok acceptable in the US and then what is ok in other countries it makes us look like the slacker teachers. My husband is not heavy at all. He is a lean mean strong machine.. yet he has a high cholesterol. My sisters family her hubby and her kids all STICKS, tall thin people have 230-280's on a good diet. So you do NOT need to be big to be in trouble. I just read today that high blood pressure is being seriously looked at inwith dimentia. I wonder if only people knew. So being big/skinny does not guarantee you safe from cholesteral. Its a FREE wake up call.. you have a choice. YOU can make a difference, hit the library, cant do that? hit the internet? I became disabled, seriously at 40 yrs old. A KID (ok I knew I would get sick at 70 not a day sooner).. so you have a gift. Knowledge, you need to cut it down and quick. You can do it. The upside is here, you can post this sucks I hate my new must be diet here and we willl all support you and push your back to keep on standing and walking forward if need be. Its a gift this info. Dont toss it away.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 AM
Banned

I eat oatmeal and Cherrios. :-)
Old 01-26-2010, 05:24 AM

I wish when I first learned about mine, I would have been serious about the low fat diet, eating high fiber - oatmeal, cherrios, whole grains, etc. - lots of vegetables including broccoli, cauliflower. I am now on medications to lower the cholesterol. Medications can harm your liver. They haven't mine so far but it is always a concern and must be tested periodically. One thing that helps lower the LDL, the bad kind, is regular EXERCISE. Education is imperative then implement the advice.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

I have bad family history and take Lipitor and have at least 10 yr.s, it works for me. I have controlled high blood pressure. Medicines are sometimes a must. Hubby has high blood pressure and is able to keep his cholestrol lower, he eats oatmeal most weeks 6 days, his family history is good. Your liver also makes cholestrol, you can only control it so much. Become a vegetarian and exercise, that seems to cure lots of things.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 AM

Thank you --all of yous!! for your response to this. I have always tried to solve my problems on my own. Usually unsuccessfully. I am 5'2" and weigh 244pounds. and when I saw some of you posting about your health issues and the encouragement you get from people on here , I thought I would post to try to get some helpful hints.
I don't smoke , drink alcohol or drink soda. I always keep healthy foods around for my grandson--he loves fresh fruit and veggies. And usually during the summer I eat healthy; but during the winter I notice I fall back to eating junk snacks; I love pizza, pastas, creamy sauces. And then all of a sudden my clothes don't fit. I have stacks of really nice clothes in 3 sizes that don't fit anymore. I am tired of looking for something to wear that doesn't look and feel tight.
I am hoping some of you will have time to write here or send me a PM reminder that will kick me in the butt and stay on the right track. It is so much easier to sit and sew than to waste my time exercising ----isn't it . Feel free to give me a push now and then, I want to outlive my fabric supply!!! Hugs , Elaine
Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 AM

I take fish oil 3 times a day. My bp is down now and fish oil helps to lower cholesterol from what I have read.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 AM

There are a ton of cookbooks out there right now for low cholesterol cooking. I know tha tI need to do better with this myself. I have a strong family history of heart issues and have known I have high cholesterol since I was 27yo. I'm heavier than I should be but I'm not what would be labeled obese. I'm only 32 and need to learn to control it now so I'm not dealing with double bypass at 50 like my father. Maybe I need to get off here and exercise! :0)