Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you let your housework go? >

Do you let your housework go?

Do you let your housework go?

Old 07-10-2012, 04:45 PM

When I worked I kept a much cleaner house, everything was on scheule now I'm retired and a widow just me a cat, a must have to quilt,lol. a bird and a 96 yr. old mother-in-law to care for, so the house is here for my benefit to enjoy and I keep it reasonably clean but do other things I enjoy like quilting and enjoying my family I worked so hard to raise. God and my friends forgive me for all my short comings like keeping a spotless house. I just have a lived in HOME!!
Old 07-10-2012, 04:51 PM

I have a sign in my sewing room that says "Boring women have immaculate homes." Also, we just hired a cleaning lady who comes in every other week. I love the smell and look of the place when I come back after she and her team have been here. Never seemed that good after I did the work.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:27 PM

I dust regularly - open the windows and pray for the wind to blow !!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:30 PM

I could have written your letter. I was obsessed with a clean house. Now I keep putting off the most simple tasks,
"till tomorrow". Oh well, it is not going anywhere, right?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I use to clean my house every day. It was spotless. Everything dusted, carpets vacuumed, floors mopped, laundry washed daily, windows washed, deck, patio and driveway hosed off weekly. Then I discovered quilting. Now my house isn't spotless anymore. When someone is coming over, I tell them to give me an hour and I run around like mad trying to pick things up to make my house presentable. I still clean, but it's not a priority anymore. I don't clean daily like I use to. I would rather quilt. Any one else like that now that they found quilting?
Absolutely! The joyful things are first on my list. I get the housework done a wee bit each day, and then the rest of the day is for me and my Janome
Old 07-10-2012, 05:52 PM

I'll Bet the majority of us quilters are like you. I know that I am.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:11 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by 3incollege View Post
I always had a very clean house. you have to when you have 7 bedrooms and 5.5 bathrooms. Quilting came into my life, it is clean and people stop by at all hours, I don't care, because the house is always presentable, but they might not notice the dust I do.A housekeeper helps! When I get up in the morning I take an hour to clean, red up. Then I do whatever I want. Summer is harder to quilt because I want to be outside. gardens to tend to or go to the lake and swim.
Donna- you are showing that you are from Western Pennsylvania....LOL!! I LOVE that you "red up" your house, too!! "Yuns" know what she means?!! Spoken like a true person from the Pittsburgh area.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
A spotless house is the sign of a broken sewing machine.
Well said Lisa.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I use to clean my house every day. It was spotless. Everything dusted, carpets vacuumed, floors mopped, laundry washed daily, windows washed, deck, patio and driveway hosed off weekly. Then I discovered quilting. Now my house isn't spotless anymore. When someone is coming over, I tell them to give me an hour and I run around like mad trying to pick things up to make my house presentable. I still clean, but it's not a priority anymore. I don't clean daily like I use to. I would rather quilt. Any one else like that now that they found quilting?

Jeanne,
The only place housekeeping comes before quilting is in the dictionary.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzmyn View Post
I had a cleaner and neater house when the kids were home and I worked full time...kids are gone and the house gets done when I am in the mood. Dishes are always done....bathrooms clean....and bed is made every day...what else is there?

I came across the saying a long time ago...never made it in a sign but always meant to and to hang it on the front door.

"If you come to see me come anytime.....If you come to see my house make an appointment."

Have a good week !!

Ditto!!! I am always thinking, how i am getting older and won't have time, screw the house work