Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you suffer from 'pursue points? >

do you suffer from 'pursue points?

do you suffer from 'pursue points?

Old 03-31-2014, 12:23 AM
Gay

Smile do you suffer from 'pursue points?

you know - those horrid words highlighted and underlined in blue - and if you dare to click on them they take you elsewhere to adds? Also fly-outs advertising. They have been driving me nuts. Well, I have discovered these are actually a program, slyly installed into our computers, by whom I'm not certain. ( I'm using Chrome atm)
All I had to do was go into start - control panel - install/uninstall - select 'pursue points' program, and tell it to uninstall. You must close all programs first, then restart your computer. VIOLA - no more of this rubbish, no more fly-outs, I really feel 'clean' again.
These adds are just junk-mail, if I want to buy something, I will go to the appropriate store, online or not, and am fed up with unwanted trash.
Would be interested to hear how many of you have had this problem and couldn't figure out how to deal with it

Cheers
Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I use google Chrome as well, (what is chrome atm??) and have never had this problem. What version of operating system are you running? Perhaps your privacy issues are more at fault...the settings which allow pop-ups, certain words on websites, certain names of people/places, that sort of thing to appear on your computer.

Go to Control Panel
Internet Options
security or privacy tabs at the top of that window
change your settings to more security

Jan in VA
Old 03-31-2014, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

Jan, do you love Google Chrome? I just read an article on XP and Windows 8. no more updates, and viruses being able to get into my computer easier, etc. , etc. firefox or Chrome were options for other browsers than IE. sigh. I am not computer literate!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:01 PM
Gay

hi Jan. I meant I'm using Chrome - at the moment. I started using windows 7 in Dec. with IE, but it wouldn't let me post pics and had problems with typing, so changed to Google. A few weeks later got some virus so my 'clever' daughter sorted that out with anti-malware etc, and we did look into that which you mention. Last week all these highlighted words and fly-outs came into play, and I noticed each one hovered over said 'pursue point'. I googled that, and one guy says it's a program installed, probably by Google, (must admit it's only when using Google this happens) and to uninstall it. When I looked into it, there was a program called 'pursue point', so I got rid of it, restarted the computer, and all is fine now. But thanks, I will look into settings again.

I did not have these sort of problems with xp, and am disliking progress of computers.

nativetexan - yes, Microsoft are not supporting xp after April I think. Haven't heard about win8, but am not surprised. I have heard good things about firefox.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I have Windows 7 and use IE with no problem posting anything. pictures, etc. Typing in here is difficult at times, I sometimes have to click the A/A thing to the left of reply box. Irritating but it does help. only in this forum!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:45 AM

I have been using Firefox for years and have never had this problem. I have totally resisted attempts by others to put Google Chrome on my computer after it was installed once and I hated it.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

thanks, that's what I thought.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:54 PM

Chrome crashed my computer. Had to have an IT person rebuild the hard drive. Time consuming and expensive. I have Windows 7 and use Firefox. I hate computers!!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:32 AM

Hi Gay from one Aussie to another. I had this on my computer not so long ago. I downloaded Ad Block & Ad Block Plus. I also installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I can't say how this got onto my computer as I've had Chrome for ages but I haven't had any trouble since.
Where in SE Qld are you. I'm in Brisbane SW.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:10 AM

I use firefox, chrome and IE (at the same time) and have never had this program install. I have had others though, that are sneaky. Stay away from download.com and cnet.com. They secretly install this kind of crapware any time you download a legitimate program.

I only use IE for facebook because I was having trouble with it on firefox. I hate IE with a passion and won't use it for anything else. Even if there's a link on facebook I will copy the link and use firefox to open it.