Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you take your needle and thread for granted? Not a joke >

Do you take your needle and thread for granted? Not a joke

Do you take your needle and thread for granted? Not a joke

Old 07-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

I was at my son's today and my DGDIL asked my DIL if she had a needle and thread to sew up a rip in a toy. They debated back and forth the last time anyone had seen the packet of needles DIL had found the last time she cleaned. Finally decided noone knew where they were. No needle and thread to be had in the house!!

My mind went to of course I have a needle and thread! I have 10 that I thread and keep on hand in my pincushion and I have plastic bins of them in a larger bin just behind my sewing machine! But not a single one that I could offer at that moment at my son's house!! LOL

It was inconceivable to me that someone could not know where their needle and thread is!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Do you take it for granted that you will have needles and thread available and never really think about not finding one?

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you need a needle and thread and don't have even one?
Old 07-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

One time my son and I were on a school bus taking the kids on a Halloween class trip to a retirement home so the kids could sing to the residents. On the way a boy ripped his costume and I had my trusty sewing case with me!!! Fixed him up during the ride LOL.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:32 PM

The day after I caught a boy stapling the pocket back on his pants at school, I took a sewing kit in and keep in my desk.

If a hotel provides one of those cute little kits, I always take it.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

I have a small one in my purse. Never know when you will need it. I keep a small first aid kit in there too. Never know when you will need a band aid.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:45 PM

I keep needle and thread in my purse at all times. I get asked for it about once a month just because all my friends know I have it.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

Sad but true... When my brother was in Hospice house I was working on some English Paper piecing ( it helped to pass the hours ) another family that we knew was also there for their Mother. One daughter was getting everything ready for ... well you know.... anyways she is a seamstress and left her sewing stuff at home. So I gave them one of my quilting ( a between) needles and thread so they could hem up some pants for the grandkids. Their mother passed away that night .
Old 07-04-2010, 07:04 PM

I keep a sewing kit at school, not necessarily to sew with, but to show children what a thimble, thread, and kit are. Most of them have no idea, and since thimble and thread are key words in our phonics program, that could be a problem.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:36 PM

I always have a small sewing kit in my desk at school. It is amazing the younger staff who have no clue how to even sew a button on.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

I always have one in my purse, too, always seem to pop off a buton or something!
Old 07-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Google Goddess

yes, I usually know where mine are at, as I have my favorite ones