Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone buy bulk foods? >

Does anyone buy bulk foods?

Does anyone buy bulk foods?

Old 01-16-2011, 07:33 PM

got it.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:05 PM

This may be hijacking your thread. Just wanted to share why I've got a Costco membership - again after not having it for about 5 years.
Went in because they had the best deal on "middle of the road" Michelin tires - needed 4
Went to get a reg. membership. $50., told the clerk we were getting tires. She immediately took my card back and told me I was getting the executive membership - say whaaaa?
Executive membership - $100
That week, if you had an E membership, and bought 4 tires, you saved $70 , so now the membership cost me $30
The E membership gives you a 2% rebate on all purchases at the end of the year, minimum payout of $45, so now my membership cost me -$15
2% rebate on my tires that day = $14 and change
Now were' up to a membership cost of minus $29
I save $50/month on my prescriptions through Costco, AND I get 2% on what I do spend.
3 'gallons' of milk a week - at 40 cents less each that stores here.
My dad asked me to get him some hearing aid batteries. He pays $40 for 40, Costco = 30 batteries for $10.49
My 'spousal' card (free) goes to my sister in law and they get to shop there - and I get the 2% (that's the deal)
So, right now, I have to go once a week anyway for meds, so anything that is cheaper there - I get there.
The rest from NoFrills. - a discount grocery store.
I'm happy.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:32 PM

do you have a natural foods co-op in the area. that have tons of bulk foods
Old 01-16-2011, 08:41 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

We have Aldi..I buy things like dried beans there.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
We have Aldi..I buy things like dried beans there.
Since moving across town 2 yrs. ago, Aldi's is now a regular stop. And I had never even been in one, they just were not on my radar screen. I find their prices great on staples, tho' a limited selection. They also have unusual non food items, like shelves and tools. Worth a visit if you have one in your area.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:17 AM

We go to Sam's club, but many of your local stores will have better prices depending on what you are buying. Just price comparison shop to ensure you get the best deal. Sam's club has large sizes of items which also requires storage space for such sizes. Many times we purchase at Sam's club and then share with someone else.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:21 AM

Keep in mind that you can shop Costco for your prescriptions even if you don't have a membership!! And...they have low prices on prescription drugs....lower than most anyway!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Do you have a health food warehouse type store? We buy flour, spices, oatmeal, ect in bulk a ours.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:29 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

If you had a choice Costco is better than sams in my opinion.. We have both- sams/costco.. I refuse to give up Costco but its 3 hours away.. Usually when we travel and we know there is a costco in that vicinity we take a cooler with us just in case.. But we never come back empty handed.. Ive never has issues with Customer Service, they were friendly and helpful and there was always someone there so you didn't have to go hunting for someone .. Plus Costco sends you a monthly coupon book to save even more every month.. Hands down I like Costco..
Old 01-17-2011, 09:07 AM

If you are seeking home storage of basics the LDS Church ships free and is a wonderful source, tho' limited choice. http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stor...8_-1_N_image_0
I buy from Sam's-only one available to me- and repackage/freeze using my food saver; also order grains in bulk from Pleasant Hill. http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/
If you order one lg bucket of grain all other items ship free.